External Gate stop

• Thread starter Deleted member 221953
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 221953

Im after something like a door stop but an external one to stop my gate from hitting the wall, any ideas?
Needs to be wall mounted.
Had a quick look on Google but it was only door stops that came up.
Cheers

I've used a cabin hook on my gate..

gregory-peck-doberman-dog-the-boys-from-brazil-1978-BP8BGA.jpg

Last edited:
I can't remember where I saw it, but was a short length of hosepipe screwed to the vertical edge of the gate.

Im after something like a door stop but an external one to stop my gate from hitting the wall, any ideas?
Needs to be wall mounted.
Had a quick look on Google but it was only door stops that came up.
Cheers
Need a photo of the current set up..

Need a photo of the current set up..
Pic attached
Needs to be wall mounted because of the stones at side of slabs, or maybe gate mounted.

Attachments

• 20190223_143435.jpg
    20190223_143435.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 122
I think you'd be better gate mounting as whatever solution you decide it will be less noticeable than on the wall.

Problem with gate mounting is, the wall might still get damaged. Would rather the gate got damaged.

Only worry is, thats an internal door stop, im assuming rust would be an issue, especially with the Scottish weather :D

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Problem with gate mounting is, the wall might still get damaged. Would rather the gate got damaged.

That's why I'm still thinking my CV rubber joint idea might be a good solution (you could stain them a similar colour to the gate). Screw one or two to the gate and they would protect both the wall and gate, as well as being silent.

I should say I'm the son of an engineer and that's the type of thing he used to come up with!

Last edited:
Having seen the photo of the gate;
My solution wouldn't attach to the gate or to the wall.
On the frame post of the gate, between the two hinges and level with the gate's middle bar,attach by screw a triangular block of wood, parallel to the wall. Attach another block the same, to the middle bar of the gate, exactly level with the first one. When the gate is open to parallel with the wall, the two blocks will form a square and stop the gate opening further.

^^^^^^
This

Arris rail fixed to the post and gate, or just a piece of gate post fixed to the current gate post to act as a stop.

Just don't 'slam' the gate open too hard as it will put stress on the hinges.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom