1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external +dvd writer cheap?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by micks_address, Sep 20, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi folks,

I want a dvd writer. It has to be external - support usb and firewire would be a bonus. I cant really afford an external drive but i've seen reference somewhere that you can buy an internal drive - then buy an oem external drive bay/casing with usb connections etc and put the drive into that and it would work out cheaper than buying an external drive. Can anyone offer some advice on whether this can be done? Also any links to sites selling the cases or recommended drives would be great. I'm thinking about some of the newer NEC drives.

Cheers,
    Mick

2. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mick

I bought an NEC 2510a from Dabs.com - will support both + and -, as well as the new dual layer disks. You can also get external enclosures from there, I think. Very easy to fit, I've got one attached to my laptop via USB 2.0

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi there,
    I've had a look at dabs and can get the nec 3500 drive plus the belkin external drive there - the price isn't to bad but they add 20 pounds for delivery to ireland.. that pushes the price to 200 euro.. i can get a freecom drive in argos for 199 - its wouldnt be as fast as the nec drive but it is dual layer. Would the nec with external casing be a better buy than the freecom?

Cheers,
    Mick

4. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to get one locally.

Any internal drive with external casing should work.

Remember you must have USB2.0 or Firewire in your PC, and the casing must support the same.

You may pay more locally but saving delivery charge and warranty issue make it more viable for you to buy locally, unless the item is not available.

5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    well after much deliberation i decided to order the nec 3500 here

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301943&cks=SER

and the belkin drive enclosure from amazon here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001GYNJ2/qid=1095750546/202-9457023-5553422

its working out at around 160 euro. Anyway hopefully i'll have the drive and the bay by the weekend so i can start playing around. First job is to back up our wedding dvd.. i'm sure i'll find other uses for it as i go along and the fact that its portable will be a bonus

Cheers,
    mick

6. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you're already ordered it's too late, but if not check out diskdepot.co.uk and svp.co.uk, both do enclosures for a lot less.

Johnnypanic

7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    i phoned diskdepot to see if they will ship to dublin.. their to phone me back.. i can always cancel the order at amazon... have you used any of the drive enclosures from there Johnny?

8. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Actually brought my enclosure from svp, but it is the same brand, Sumvision, so I can highly recommend it.

Can also recommend diskdepot, great service and they don't try to rip off us peeps in the North of Ireland :)

Johnnypanic