External DVD player - for accessing PDFs!

hart reaver

Novice Member
Hi, all.
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive but reliable (new) external DVD player for use with my laptop?
This may sound odd, but I only need it so I can access the extra material on DVDs (PDFs, etc.), so if anyone can confirm first of all that that is easily done with these external drives, that would be great.
Also, as it won't necessarily be used to play/burn/rip or any of those other verbs, the cheaper the better!
My usual shopping place is Amazon (don't judge me, please!), and as I've seen a few on there around the £25 mark, that's about my budget.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Barry.

next010

Distinguished Member
Anything will do DVD/USB are old tech at this point.

Never heard of movie DVD's with PDF's on them (unless you mean regular data on DVD), but if they were meant to be used on PC's with the PDF not being encrypted and readable then it shouldn't be a problem.

hart reaver

Novice Member
Anything will do DVD/USB are old tech at this point.

Never heard of movie DVD's with PDF's on them (unless you mean regular data on DVD), but if they were meant to be used on PC's with the PDF not being encrypted and readable then it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for that. The PDFs I mean are not encrypted - it's stuff like old movie posters, scripts, etc. For example, the last DVD I bought, which arrived yesterday (Jessie Matthews Revue, vol. 6, if anyone is interested) states ''an image gallery and promotional PDFs are on this disc'', and as I've paid for them, I'd like to see them! You get them on blu-rays as well, but at the moment I can't stretch to the price of an external blu-ray player.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom