External Dual layer DVD Re-writer for my Sony Vaio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dean, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hi, can someone recommend me a good dual layer DVD re-writer for my Sony Vaio laptop, although the Vaio has a DVD-RW drive it can only use DVD5 (4.7 Gb). I intend to connect it via a USB cable. I want to make exact back-ups of some of my DVD collection, particularly the badly scratched ones. Cheers in advance.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    You can get external drives but why not consider one of these. You can then fit a 'normal' internal IDE drive and use that. The LG4163 and Pioneer A08 are two of the better drives at present.

3. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We use 'Liteon 1633SX 16x DVD R/RW Dual Layer External USB 2.0' at work. Description taken from eBuyer.

4. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Cheers I'll have a look at all those and try and decide. Is that Pioneer drive external by the way? Some others things I want to clear up though are

1. There seems only to be DVD+R Dual blank media available at present?
    2. When DVD-R Dual blank media are avialable will they be cheaper than DVD+R dual blank media?

Considering the price of blanks I am thinking of waiting awhile until they are more affordable by which time there will be better drives available.. any thoughts?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    That is correct. Although DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL were developed at more or less the same time the latter, being an official format, needed to get approval from the 200+ companies of the DVD Forum. The former just had to be approved by the breakaway DVD Alliance. DVD-R DL support is already found in some drives but it is still several months away from arriving in stores. When it does it will be start at 4x speed so will more or less have caught up with DVD+R DL.

That said I'm not totally convinced by the need for a SEVENTH (!) DVDR format. DVD+R DL seems quite compatible - considerably more so than DVD+R - and thus I'm not sure how DVD-R DL could improve on that. Still I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Probably about the same. Hopefully competition will force down prices but as dual layer media is more complex to make the cheap Chinese sources that provide sub-50p DVD-Rs/+Rs are excluded from production. Hence dual layer media will carry a premium for sometime yet.

It's early days yet for dual layer DVDR - it's longevity is unknown, it's still expensive and compatibility is yet to thoroughly tested.

6. New Bloke

New Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Has your laptop have a Firewire port (or Sony like to call it I-Link). Rather than using USB, I would use this method for connection. Faster transfer speeds (assuming that your laptop has USB1 not USB2.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    There is a Sony Dual layer external DVD writer available that is both USB2 and Firewire.

SONY DRX710UL

£130 in PC world so probably alot cheaper elsewhere :)

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    In fact after looking round comet and PC world seem to be about as cheap as you are going to get and you dont have to worry about shipping costs either.
    The retail one comes with loads of software too, which never bothers me, but it is always nice to be able to put a legit serial number in!

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    ...or you could go for the caddy and IDE drive as I suggested and spend a little under £70. Dedicated external drives are normally poor value for money. Agree with the iLink suggestion though!

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Yeah I have a firewire case and just change the drive when a new one is released.

11. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah thanks for the replies.. i did have a look at the Sony but it didn't get a very good write up here, though that is the 700 one and not the 710 so there may be a big difference between the two? I think I'll wait awhile for the technology to settle down, also the write speed at the moment for DVD+R dual seems very slow at the moment. I think my Vaio has a firewire connection, so hoepfully these will be more widespread with future DVD-rewriters.

12. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Firewire (IEEE 1394) definitely better, since less drain on CPU and for the longterm benefit of the non-Vaio laptop community, usually available when installing OS service packs from external CD or pocket HDD (ie if you haven't an integral CD-ROM).

BTW the new Pioneer 109 claims to be able to write (with future firmware upgrade) both +R DL and -R DL at 6x. Sounds like an interesting few months ahead...

13. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    My laptop has USB 2 and Firewire which would be best to use for external dvd drive, is it better to go for the caddy and ide drive or usb drive.
    If going for caddy and IDE drive where can i get the firewire caddy and which IDE dvd dual recorder do u recommend :smashin:

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    The caddy will be either firewire, usb2 or both, then you can stick any ide drive in it.

USB2 will be the chaepest, start around £25, and then firewire at around £40+ and a combo will cost you a little more again.

so you could go for a a £25 usb2 caddy and add a pioneer writer for very little money.

15. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well SVP (here) have a combined Firewire/USB-2 external case for £25.

Another good reason for a Firewire connection is that like SCSI you can daisy-chain many devices from the single port on your laptop (rather than multiple parallel USB-2 connections, each of which reduces bandwidth).

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    excellent link.

I am going to order a couple of those for another writer and a hard drive, nice to have a big drive I can move between laptops and pcs.

17. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    :thumbsup: What DVD burner would you recomend to fit into the caddy i know Pionner are bringing out a new DVD burner 109 modle is it worth waiting for this 1 :smashin: