1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external decoder / pre-amplifier for 7.1 channels

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by w8andc, Mar 7, 2003.

1. w8andc

Standard Member

Oct 25, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I need some good advice. I"ll hope I can find it here.

I have a very good receiver/ decoder with many inputs and outpts for sound and video, analoge and digital (optical and coaxal). It has a very good Dolby Digital 5.1 , DTS 5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic decoder. 5 x 105 Watt - 8 Ohm
    Although I have bought my receiver LUXMAN RV-491 for less than full price in july 2000 (€ 1.250), it wasn't a cheap one. This receiver is also prepared for 7. 1 analoge input channels.

Besides the good results of this receiver, anno 2003 there is much changed in decoding.

I want to decode sound through an external decoder or pre-amplifier (NOT receiver) with at least 7.1 analoge output channels and 1 digital input channel so I can connect it to my LUXMAN to be amplified.

It would be great the decoder / pre-amplifier can decode Dolby Digital 6.1 EX, DTS 6.1 ES, Dolby ProLogic II and SRS Circle Surround II

I know Analoge Devices develloped a processor chip called Melody 32 wich is used in KENWOOD and Marantz systems which can decode those.

Someone know a good not to pricy solution for my upgrade?

Is it worthwile to keep my reciever and use an external decoder?
    Or can I better by an new receiver? If so, wich one can you advice?

I"ll wait for some answers.

Thanks already