External DAC to pair with streamer - £150 budget

markreed89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the process of setting up a streaming system. I've got my amp and speakers sorted, the streamers likely to be a bluesound node or a wiim mini, more likely the mini for cost savings.

Neither of these are known the have a great DAC so I'm looking to feed the streamer into an external dac via optical connection. Hi Res is important, mqa would be nice but it's not make or break, sound quality is more important. Budget is about £150 or less.

The topping E30 seems to be a good option, is there any others you'd recommend?

Thanks

Mark

The little Wiim mini is excellent value for sure so worth a try, however if you want something a little more upmarket with great software and versatility the Node is also excellent.
If you did go for the Node you might want to just try the Node with it's own DAC first, it's not as bad as some people say it is and it works perfectly with MQA out of the box (analog RCA outputs) It uses a pretty decent Burr -Brown DAC chipset from Texas instruments with low distortion and high signal to noise ratio.

I would describe the sound as pretty smooth and detailed in the highs (but not aggressive sounding) decent airy sound stage, a little dry perhaps (more digital sound than analog (warm) the bass is clean and detailed also, but there are a few of us on this forum that agree it's not the most exciting listen but it certainly isn't poor.
When used with lossless formats and HiRes from Qobuz, Paradise radio MQA streams and Amazon HD it sound's truly excellent, less good with compressed spotify streams.

To get the full unfold (best quality) of MQA on a seperate DAC you need to use the USB out from the Node to the DAC then set Node to external MQA DAC. Optical out will still work but won't be as good as with USB.
MQA DAC's will always be a lot more expensive as you have to pay extra for the privilege, there is a lot of arguments for and against MQA, personally, I like the sound of MQA and think it's worth the extra outlay.
Just be warned that the the E30 ii is quite hard to obtain at the moment (AKM chipset) and there have been reports of issues with sound cutting out over optical, other DAC's that use the ESS sabre chips apparently do not suffer the dropouts (someone may correct me if I'm mistaken)

Thanks for the info about the e30. Strange it should cutting over to optical.

Here in Norway it’s still available.

As mentioned above the new Node 130 is fine.

I find it super smooth sounding, quite analog in fact. It emphasizes bass, midrange more then treble. It lacks some air,bass transits bit slow.

Other this fine. Node 2i is more dynamic sounding but not as warm sounding. You’ll get different options about this of course.

@iFi audio, has an excellent DAC called Zen DAC V2.

Let’s say you buy the Wiimi, the connect the Zen to optical you apparently is going to get bit perfect sound.

Not sure if this only applies for topping DAC.

Let’s say you buy the Wiimi, the connect the Zen to optical you apparently is going to get bit perfect sound
The zen dac v2 doesnt have optical input, just usb.

For optical input you would need the zen one signature dac, but this is a bit more. But it is good, and also has bluetooth, so can stream from phone direct to the dac.

The little Wiim mini is excellent value for sure so worth a try, however if you want something a little more upmarket with great software and versatility the Node is also excellent.
If you did go for the Node you might want to just try the Node with it's own DAC first, it's not as bad as some people say it is and it works perfectly with MQA out of the box (analog RCA outputs) It uses a pretty decent Burr -Brown DAC chipset from Texas instruments with low distortion and high signal to noise ratio.

I would describe the sound as pretty smooth and detailed in the highs (but not aggressive sounding) decent airy sound stage, a little dry perhaps (more digital sound than analog (warm) the bass is clean and detailed also, but there are a few of us on this forum that agree it's not the most exciting listen but it certainly isn't poor.
When used with lossless formats and HiRes from Qobuz, Paradise radio MQA streams and Amazon HD it sound's truly excellent, less good with compressed spotify streams.

To get the full unfold (best quality) of MQA on a seperate DAC you need to use the USB out from the Node to the DAC then set Node to external MQA DAC. Optical out will still work but won't be as good as with USB.
MQA DAC's will always be a lot more expensive as you have to pay extra for the privilege, there is a lot of arguments for and against MQA, personally, I like the sound of MQA and think it's worth the extra outlay.
Just be warned that the the E30 ii is quite hard to obtain at the moment (AKM chipset) and there have been reports of issues with sound cutting out over optical, other DAC's that use the ESS sabre chips apparently do not suffer the dropouts (someone may correct me if I'm mistaken)
Would you say the same for the bluesound 2? Are you just speaking for the 2i or the latest 2021 version?

I'm likely to be getting the standard 2 on used market if i go that route

I find Node2i more neutral sounding, whereas Node 2021 is warmer sounding.

2021 version is very forgiving to most recordings. This has its benefits and downsides.

One could say the 2021 version lacks some drive to sound.

Depending what amplifier, speakers you this could be great combination. I do find it too soft sounding at times so adding new DAC can be an options.

Hifi is very difficult.

What speakers, amplifier do you have?

I went with a used 2i in the end, just ordered it. I'm pearing it with a monitor audio a100 a/b amp which I got very cheap. If I'm not happy with the onboard DAC I can also consider a topping e50 or e30 in the future.

What speakers, amplifier do you have?
The speakers are very modest, that's why I think i don't need to worry about a DAC right now. I just picked up a boxed hardly used pair of monitor audio bronze br1 for £50.

It's something I'll upgrade in the future but for now this is what the wife will allow. I've took over the whole living room with a huge surround system for the past few years, which I've been begged to sell for ages. Last month the new neighbours complained about the noise and she's used that as fuel to make me get rid of it lol. For now I'm only aloud a modest stereo system and a soundbar for movies.

The speakers are very modest, that's why I think i don't need to worry about a DAC right now. I just picked up a boxed hardly used pair of monitor audio bronze br1 for £50.

It's something I'll upgrade in the future but for now this is what the wife will allow. I've took over the whole living room with a huge surround system for the past few years, which I've been begged to sell for ages. Last month the new neighbours complained about the noise and she's used that as fuel to make me get rid of it lol. For now I'm only aloud a modest stereo system and a soundbar for movies.
I have owned both versions of the Node, I think the newer version sounds slightly better but there's not really much in it, for me, the newer model has a slightly more refined sound.

The MA100 is a pretty unusual design, I've never heard a monitor audio amplifier let alone that model before so no idea what they sound like, it will be interesting to see what you think of it with the Bronze 1's but with both being from the same manufacturer they should pair reasonably well.

If you haven't signed up to a lossless high quality streaming service yet, Radio Paradise is a high quality radio stream and it's free with the Node so if you've never tried it before give it a try, they play great music 24/7 no adds (4 different streams to choose from, MQA also) Spotify is great music service but at this time does not offer lossless streaming (only compressed) so you will not get the most out of the Node sound quality wise if using that.
I was in a similar situation to you with regards my neighbours and surround sound kit so went back to just 2ch music and TBH I don't really miss the surround sound any more as my music (and friendship with my neighbours) is more important to me. If it is your first foray into music streaming then I think you will love the convenience of it once you get the hang of it.
If you need any help with the Node there is plenty of folk on here who can help you with it.

Thanks for the info about the e30. Strange it should cutting over to optical.

Here in Norway it’s still available.

As mentioned above the new Node 130 is fine.

I find it super smooth sounding, quite analog in fact. It emphasizes bass, midrange more then treble. It lacks some air,bass transits bit slow.

Other this fine. Node 2i is more dynamic sounding but not as warm sounding. You’ll get different options about this of course.

Let’s say you buy the Wiimi, the connect the Zen to optical you apparently is going to get bit perfect sound.

Not sure if this only applies for topping DAC.
What version of the E30 were you talking about Helix? there is now a MK2 version which is supposed to be an improvement but most places I looked at didnt have them in stock, and only available to order from China. The E50 I believe uses an ES6068AS Dac chip instead which doesn't seem to have the drop-out problems of the earlier E30 which uses the AKM dac chip set.

Node might be a perfect bargain if you find a 150£ offer.

Node might be a perfect bargain if you find a 150£ offer.
Wow. You don’t like how it sounds. It’s tad soft sounding (2021) but still isn’t not bad.

Why comment then?

I have owned both versions of the Node, I think the newer version sounds slightly better but there's not really much in it, for me, the newer model has a slightly more refined sound.

The MA100 is a pretty unusual design, I've never heard a monitor audio amplifier let alone that model before so no idea what they sound like, it will be interesting to see what you think of it with the Bronze 1's but with both being from the same manufacturer they should pair reasonably well.

If you haven't signed up to a lossless high quality streaming service yet, Radio Paradise is a high quality radio stream and it's free with the Node so if you've never tried it before give it a try, they play great music 24/7 no adds (4 different streams to choose from, MQA also) Spotify is great music service but at this time does not offer lossless streaming (only compressed) so you will not get the most out of the Node sound quality wise if using that.
I was in a similar situation to you with regards my neighbours and surround sound kit so went back to just 2ch music and TBH I don't really miss the surround sound any more as my music (and friendship with my neighbours) is more important to me. If it is your first foray into music streaming then I think you will love the convenience of it once you get the hang of it.
If you need any help with the Node there is plenty of folk on here who can help you with it.
From what I can see with reviews and personal accounts of the a100 it was an excellent sounding a/b streaming DAC/amp for the money (£400-500 on launch). It just didn't take off because it had terrible connectivity and maybe it's design didn't appeal as well. All it did was airplay at a time when Spotify connect and Bluetooth streaming etc was taking off. I figure even though it might be obsolete as a streamer, it won't just become a bad amp overnight. £50 for an a/b amp, I don't think I can go too far wrong :)

Wow. You don’t like how it sounds. It’s tad soft sounding (2021) but still isn’t not bad.

Why comment then?
It is a perfect option for 150£ budget. There is no better streamer in this price. However, if we raise a limit, we will find lots of better players.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom