1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Camcorder Mic?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by IainG1, Dec 4, 2003.

1. IainG1

IainG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I've got a Sony DCR-TRV25 (which incidentally is fantastic) but a few friends of mine want to make a mini-documentary thing, onthing serious but just for a laugh.

I saw this http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_4847.html on Sony's site, and wondered if that'd make the sound quality any better... I've read some very bed remarks about it on newsgroups, but there have been some good reviews too.

Because it's only a small thing I'm doing, I don't want to spend too much. Can anyone recommend that mic, or any others that will work well?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've had a look on the Sony web site at the mic you refer to and it is NOT listed as being compatable with your camcorder (DCR-TRV25).
    Why not just use a generic camcorder mic such as :
    www.keene.co.uk
    HAMA RMZ14 STEREO MICROPHONE £39.99

Not as expensive as the Sony, but should be ok. I've not used this mic, but have ordered from Keene and had a very good service from them.

Before you buy check that your camcorder has an input for an external mic, otherwise you are waisting your time & money.

Mark.

3. IainG1

IainG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it's got the input 'cause I've used a wired handheld one before... my camera is compatible, I rang Sony yesterday to make sure. Apparently they only list the more recent models. :rolleyes:

You think that one you mentioned would be good for picking up speach but not background noise? I'd like it to sound clearly better than the onboard mic...

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Any external mic at just about any price should be an improvement on the internal mic on most consumer camcorders. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. This is a cheap(ish) mic, but from a company that has been making affordable accessories for camcorders for many years. But it is only £7 cheaper than the Sony, so that might be better if as you say it is compatable with your camcorder.

Mark.