External "bullet" camera connection advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by jd13750, Sep 6, 2007.

1. jd13750

jd13750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I've got a JVC GR-DVXE and a GZ-MG21EK and I'd like to use either of them with a "bullet" camera, the type that are about the size of a lipstick pack. I need to use the external camera for in car filming, as most race tracks in this country don't allow camcorders to be used. The problem is that the DVXE has an A/V connector, but out only. Can it be converted to be in/out? Anuone know who could do this? On the MG21EK, that's got A/V and USB. The same problem here though, can the A/V be converted to in /out? Any advice would be very welcome as I've trawled through so many websites looking for real info. Thanks all.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    As far as I know you can't convert AV-out only to in/out. At one time there were ways to convert DV-out only DV cams to DV in and out; but I don't believe this ever worked for AV.

3. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    No, Mark's right. You can't do this. You need to go here:

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/

and there you will find all you need to achieve your heart's desire, but I don't think you'll be able to do it with the camcorder that you have.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Yep, the good old EU tax rules decided a few years back that a cam that can be converted would have to pay higher tax (the same rate as if the cam had DV/AV-in out of the box). All camcorders less than about 3 or 4 years old will have their inputs hardware disabled to avoid the extra tax.
    AV-in could be enabled on some models, see details Here.

A list of the JVC cams that can have DV-in enabled (but not AV-in) can be found Here.

Mark.

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Thanks Mark, I didn't realise some cams could have their AV-in converted...

But certainly not his "new" GZ-MG21EK, and it doesn't look like the GR-DVXE either (I'm not sure how old that model is).

6. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

Could always check out www.archos.com now as they make their own bullet cameras to work with DVR's. Sometimes better than using a camcorder in certain situations.

Cheers

Digi