External brickwork stain, likely cause?

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at a property which has a small window at the front, as you will see there is a black stain around the window although I'm wondering what the cause is, its not a bathroom window which rules out excess moisture so I'm guessing bacterial of some description, would I be right?

It's not really clear from that pic what you mean. Is it just shadow on the left? The darkening of the bricks to the right?

I think the other wall is jpg compression, couldn't see any signs on that wall of similar.

They missed a bit when they cleaned it? :)

Looks like it could be Lee. Is the window different to the others? I.e. Could it have been replaced.

The windows all looked of a similar age Steve, there are 5 houses of the same kind, none of them have similar to that window. Not put in an offer yet so gives me an opportunity to field a few questions!

Do a google search for "house fire (insert address).

First thing I tried Steve, nothing!

I know the current occupiers have lived there for 2 years, Google street view on that address goes back to April 2009 and shows the same damage so I don't think the current owners will be able to shine any light on it. Will have to get access to the loft space though particularly the section above that window, might reveal a clue or 2!

Ah right that is a while ago. I would be surprised, if they had been insured of course that the insurance didn't clean the brickwork up.

Ah right that is a while ago. I would be surprised, if they had been insured of course that the insurance didn't clean the brickwork up.

Yeah that's my thinking. The house was built in the early 2k's and as you said, insurance would have covered that! Looking at the earliest street view image, its also evident on the nearest window brickwork although not quiet as bad. Will need to do a little digging here I think... Fire's can cause huge damage although if the insurance company arranged for repair that's not necessarily a deal breaker but... why wasn't the clean up done properly, strange!

Does the window open to the right only? I would have thought the smoke would have risen above as well. May just have been a hairdryer catching on fire or fan heater or something. I'd be looking for clues in the room and below.

How'd the morter around the corner?
If it's like Swiss cheese then water can penetrate behind the brick work and cause mould to gtow.

Does the window open to the right only? I would have thought the smoke would have risen above as well. May just have been a hairdryer catching on fire or fan heater or something. I'd be looking for clues in the room and below.
Probably opens from the bottom with a strong wind blowing from L-R as you look at it would cause it to only come out one side.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom