External Audio In option while filming?

M

maximeuk

Hi there,
I I'm keen to record video while having the sound input from my audio mixer (taking the sound from three mics - two presenters and the audience). It seems such a basic need, but I'm finding it really hard to find out which camcorders will allow this. There's always the external mic option, but I've found my mixer 'line' output to be incompatible with my Panasonic GS11EB external mic input - probably impedance or something - get a lot of buzzing. Lots of cameras have audio in for later dubbing, but which ones will allow realtime audio line in while filming?
I'm only looking for the cheapest models for now, and also, I'm particularly interested in which older DV models allow this so I might snap one up on ebay.
Or if thre's another way of use the external mic option instead:clap:
So many thanks for your attention,
John

I would recommend a Beachtek DXA-4, it will take line XLR's from your mixer and shall then DI them into your cameras minijack socket. The XLR's can be switched between line and mic level, you have independent audio level contol on each channel (although your cam has an auto level only) you can also merge two channels into mono, or double a mono input to linear stereo output. The unit also repeats the minijack input & tripod socket, so you could leave it on your cam all the time, downside is price £150 if you ask Prestons very nicely, no phantom power (there is a more expensive version that has phantom if you are using such mics direct into the unit, otherwise your mixer should provide phantom) you might be better to record the audio onto a seperate recorder as your camcorder is likely to be the weakest component in the chain.

Thanks Roy:thumbsup:

This is a good option, and can be had on ebay for £149. I'm not sure how to get line XLR's from my mixer Behringer MXB1002, though, nice overhead pic at
http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmesse01/Content/Behringer/PR/MXB-1002-large.jpg
(specs at http://www.behringer.com/MXB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG: )

is it a) Taking each "Main Output" 1/4" Jack (L&R)("+26dBu balanced/ +22dBu unbalanced") to each of the two Beachtek XLR inputs, and would that be at line level? Are there two types of 1/4" to XLR cables: balanced and unbalanced, if so which to get?

or b) would that be taking Mixer Tape Out (as RCA/Phono plug "+22dBu unbalanced") to XLR Input, I've not seen such a cable before.

Also, your point about quality: pressumably the 'mic in' circuit on my camera is not too hot, even though the PCM recording of DV must be OK. Would better cameras have better 'mic in' circuitry?

Finally, are there any camcorders at all that have this "line in" built in - I need a second cam anyway, if I'm going spend £150 I might be better spending the xtra on a better cam.

You can probably tell I have very litttle idea what I'm talking about:rolleyes: , so I really appreciate your help with all these questions! (not the kind of thing it's easy to Google!)
Thanks again
John

I've seen it suggested here I think to use one of these mp3 players which record. Then mix in the audio afterwards in the NLE. The crucial bit is getting sync so you want a sharp sound and visual i.e. a clapper board.

theres nothing at this kind of money I'm afraid, the 'cheapest' cam with a line in that I know of is the fx1, the problem is not the mic input ciruitry, just the lack of a manual record level, you should be able to buy a minidisc recorder with a manual line in for £100-£150, this would be the most cost effective descision.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom