External antenna for 4G router

Gadzy123

Novice Member
Hello,
I live in an area where we can't get fibre-optic and the quickest connection possible is a 1MB download speed and about 2 upload (yes it's that bad)... I spoke to a chap near me who is using mobile home broadband where he has a 4G sim router and the internet connects through the 4G. He gets upto 40 mbps. I went for the same option, but my signal is no where near as good to where he lives unfortunately, but someone mentioned an external antenna which will fit into my router, but would need to be put up outside on the house etc like a sky dish. I'm happy to try this, but I'm wondering if it will actually improve the signal and speeds and latency? The router I have is a Huawei b535 which does have antenna ports on the back to connect a antenna too. Any thoughts would be great. I believe I have found out where the nearest mast is also so I was thinking an OMNI DIRECTIONAL antenna in that direction then straight into the router. I just don't want to go ahead and do all this if it's not going to help, but reviews have said it does

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I believe I have found out where the nearest mast is also so I was thinking an OMNI DIRECTIONAL antenna in that direction

You can't point omni-directional antennas in a specific direction. Omni-directional means they receive equally from all directions horizontally.

daneccles

You can't point omni-directional antennas in a specific direction. Omni-directional means they receive equally from all directions horizontally.
You are right to a point. I have a Pointing omni antenna used indoors on a window. It has a certain amount of directionality although it isn't that precise. Presenting the flat face towards the direction of the mast gives the best signal.

The best solution in a weak signal area would be a directional antenna mounted outside. However, if you don't have line of sight to the mast at the mount point it will give you worse results than an omni-directional antenna. Any antenna mounted outside will give a better signal than inside.

But do explore your options with the B535 indoors on its own first. The router's wi-fi is pretty good and can easily work through walls or a ceiling, giving you enough flexibility to look for the best 4G signal. Get an LTE monitor app such as LTEInspecteur (Note French spelling) and stick it on a laptop so you can see the effects of moving your router about then try different locations. Sometimes even a foot or so can make a huge difference.

My best spot happened to be the bathroom, not the best place for a router but it is a huge improvement over anywhere else inside the house and is the reason why I got an antenna. It is reasonably damp proof and I could put the router elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ianfromnotts

Upgrade to a b818 or h112,, cat 19 much faster. I have an aerial somewhere, increased speeds but only when it was mounted outdoors. Didnt try loft though

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom