External amplifier for Denon avr-x3700h

kyudosai

Around the end of last year I bought my first avr setup.
I went with the Denon avr-x3700h for a 5.1.4 setup, thinking I could then always upgrade it to 7.1.4. (the Denon can process 11 channels but only power 9)
I'm all settled in now, and i figured I might as well. Now i'm just wondering what I'll need to make this work.

In another thread i found a budget amplifier:
Amazon productI just want to confirm, will this work, and additionally, what kind of cables will i need to buy to connect everything?

D

Deleted member 39241

That one looks okay, but it doesn't have consumer friendly inputs and outputs. I use one of these with my Arcam, and it works fine, and has RCA inputs and banana plug outputs:

kyudosai

Thanks for the suggestion, I might go with that one then.
so when using pre amp, would i then connect the ports as marked on below images?
avr pre amp.png
amp pre amp.png

At least this is what I was told in a video, though they also use a trigger port there, wich i don't see here...

rccarguy2

That one looks okay, but it doesn't have consumer friendly inputs and outputs. I use one of these with my Arcam, and it works fine, and has RCA inputs and banana plug outputs:

What is the input sensivity of the a800 and can the arcam reach it?

D

Deleted member 39241

What is the input sensivity of the a800 and can the arcam reach it?
Hi, specs are here. On the RCA input there is an adjustable gain up to 41db, so works really well with the Arcam, even if speakers are set to large (where pre-out voltage is lower).

a800.JPG

D

Deleted member 39241

Thanks for the suggestion, I might go with that one then.
so when using pre amp, would i then connect the ports as marked on below images?View attachment 1477211View attachment 1477212

At least this is what I was told in a video, though they also use a trigger port there, wich i don't see here...
Yes, thats the connections to use if you want to use it to power your front main speakers.

The Behringer A800 doesn't have a trigger input, I use one of these adapters with mine, so the trigger output on the AVR can switch power on and off to the Behringer, and it works quite happily with that arrangement:

rccarguy2

Is gain similar to voltage or with difference in gain that effects how loud per mv

D

Deleted member 39241

Is gain similar to voltage or with difference in gain that effects how loud per mv
Yes. The higher the gain, the more amplification you get from the input voltage. Also, potentially higher noise floor, but I have the gain right up to max on my Behringer, using RCA inputs, and no audible noise floor.

Couple of calculators here that can work it out:

rccarguy2

Would be good knowing the input voltage of the a800 though downloaded manual it's not in there

rccarguy2

D

Deleted member 39241

300mv doesn't seem right, thats pretty low, pro gear is usually higher voltage?

Just looked through my Poweramp via RCA it's 34db, that's quite high, I did notice bit of hiss it's not too bad
That's on the RCA inputs only, with the gain at the maximum of 41db.

The XLR inputs are different, +4 dBu

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom