Extension prices?

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string but is their a rough guide on how much I should expect to pay for an extension? I really don’t have a clue and want to know if I am having my pants pulled down.

It is going to be single story 4m x 2.5m, with windows on only one of the three walls and 4 skylights.

It is going to replace this (which is currently 2m x 2.5m): -

2013-07-06154512_zpsa77b1dfe.jpg

I am based in the South East.

Do you have an architects drawing and spec.

If you are asking people to quote without one, you are leaving it to them to interpret and you can bet your life they will assume the most and deliver the least.

Plus building control will want to see the plans.

If you go through the process, I am sure you will get several quotes based on exactly the same spec and that will be directly comparable.

No I don't have plans yet.

It is pretty basic though I can't see how it could be interpreted that differently from builder to builder.

our 3.5m x 3m single storey extension which finally starts next week came in at 11,700 (that's south west area), it includes a 4 x 3m raised decking area to the side of it, we are supplying the french doors/window.

Last edited:
It is pretty basic though I can't see how it could be interpreted that differently from builder to builder.

That is exactly why you need plans and a spec. Just simple things like accessibility can have an impact.

Go onto buildstores website or get a copy of home building and renovating magazine, they have a rough guide in there for eaxh area of the country but work on £1000 to £1500 a square metre that seems to come to mind but obviously it depends on spec.

our 3.5m x 3m single storey extension which finally starts next week came in at 11,700 (that's south west area), it includes a 4 x 3m raised decking area to the side of it, we are supplying the french doors/window.

Thanks, I would be happy with that quote.

That is exactly why you need plans and a spec. Just simple things like accessibility can have an impact.

I want to get some ball parks before I fork out on plans.

When I had my extension done recently I asked a couple of builders for a ballpark based on a 'back of an envelope' drawing. They came round and gave me a very rough idea. Try that approach.

Thanks, I had one come on Saturday and another tonight.

Will hopefully have some prices by the end of the week.

Just got the first quote from someone where I know the family quite well and it has come in at £7.5k.

This is just for the shell, windows and bringing the floor up to the level of the house. Plastering and internal electrics (apart from the lighting) would be left to me.

Sounds pretty damn good.

when you get your plans done , take them to buildbase , they send them off and come back with a full quote of materials and labour ....for free

There is now the question over planning. My understanding is that the rules have been relaxed as of late and there is an unofficial limit of 4m from your house. I was looking to have this done asap and then apply for planning after.

You won't need planning if you are going out 4m. It's under permitted development. You need to give building notice. £7.5k really is a bargain.

My quotes for my build varied wildly. The most expensive was over double and then some of the cheapest quote.

There is now the question over planning. My understanding is that the rules have been relaxed as of late and there is an unofficial limit of 4m from your house. I was looking to have this done asap and then apply for planning after.

You need your neighbours consent under these new rules, you have to submit a prior approval notice to the council and they will contact your neighbours. Think it's a 42 day turnaround.

I know their father quite well and he has been in the building trade for a number of years.

They are finishing a job up the road this week so I am going to turn up unannounced tonight and ask the homeowner if I can have a look.

You need your neighbours consent under these new rules, you have to submit a prior approval notice to the council and they will contact your neighbours. Think it's a 42 day turnaround.

Have you got a link to that? I guess there is some kind of form?

I'm always baffled by property programmes, the likes of 'homes under the hammer' etc.
Even taking the time that has elapsed into consideration, some of the work people in England get for £20k-£30k is astounding.
I couldn't get a utility room built for less than £20k, I guarantee it.
:(

I'm always baffled by property programmes, the likes of 'homes under the hammer' etc.
Even taking the time that has elapsed into consideration, some of the work people in England get for £20k-£30k is astounding.
I couldn't get a utility room built for less than £20k, I guarantee it.
:(

I am very suprised. If this extension they are working on looks semi ok they have got the job.

84" 4k Res TV here we come.

when you get your plans done , take them to buildbase , they send them off and come back with a full quote of materials and labour ....for free

Sorry I don't follow.

they will give you a price for all the materials supplied by them , a time scale of how long the job should take and the cost of labour at standard rate , they offer this service for free .

That's good then mate, as regards planning it depends on the authority as not all took up the government proposal it was left to their discretion. But you will need to submit an application to building regs and they still come and inspect the different stages to make sure they comply with the regulations.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom