extension or conservatory or mixture of both

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maffcliff, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Maffcliff

Maffcliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    We are in the process of buying a house. lovely house down stairs is a bit small. ( got a garage that will be a cinema room :) )

we are thinking of getting a extension or conservatory. does anyone know if it will be much cheaper to to build a conservatory with the 2 walls on the sides as brick so when we have more money we could make it in to a fully brick built extension maybe a double extension, so do the footings done before so its all prepped

Has anyone had anything done like this if so how much was it?

2. elliotskywalker

elliotskywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    gotta be an extension...upvc is difficult to keep cool in summer and warm in winter....my dad built both on his house and the conservatory gets hardly any use.

As for cost get recommended builders from friends and relations , so you can see the work yourself and get lots of quotes, making sure you write down what you want ...so theres no complications later.
    You could have a "shell " build ...where the builder digs out the footings, builds the walls floor any sewerage and roof...you then get plasterers, plumbers, electricians youself.

you will need planning permission and most councils will also need planning permission for conservatorys.
    Using the council inspectors and buildings regulations along with a architects drawing is going to cost over a grand before a shovel is picked up....if you need and help just ask as my dad is a builder and will give you free and precise advice about all aspects of your build.:thumbsup:

3. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,229
    Planning Portal - Guide to the planning permission and permitted development regimes for conservatories

Have a read of the above site regarding permitted development which will not require planning permission.

I doubt there would be a huge difference in construction costs, especially if the footings are to be dug deep enough to support a future two storey build.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Gotta be an extention with plenty of windows :smashin:

I've just bought a new house with a lovely big lounge.
    Half of it is in the house, half of it is a conservatory.

When I get home from work it ranges between 28 and 36 degrees C,
    and the thought of spending the best part of a grand on blinds is too much at the moment.:thumbsdow

5. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    +1 for a mix of the two. My parents have an extension with loads of glass but still some solid walls. Still gets very hot in summer but with the windows and doors etc open its nice. It's also fine to use in winter so you get the best of both.

6. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    Definately not 100% conservatory as I hate the things.

The in-laws have a dwarf wall all the way round, probaly 25% of the total height, and that looks OK-ish at a push.

Will you have walkway space either side of the intended location. If so i'd have 3 proper walls put up with double doors and half-height windows on the 'exit' wall, with 2 larger windows on the side walls.

7. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    My parents have a dwarf wall all the way round, one wall about 2/3 glass and the rest normal, one about 80% wall 20% glass, and one all glass (apart from the dwarf walls obv). The roof is probably 20% glass.