Quantcast

Extension from Computer to Headphones

kyufaker

Novice Member
Hi all,

I am struggling to understand the below:

I am using standard 3.5mm 3 pole jack headphones plugged directly into computer, works like a charm

Then I want to put an extension because the lead on my headphones isn't long enough. I bought 2 different 3.5mm 3 pole jack extentions , when I use them the sound that goes through sounds like its going through water or not at all.

This does my head in...

Also a separate question: If I want to use iphone earphones (3.5mm 4 pole) into a normal computer audio output 3.5mm 3 poles, it shouldn't matter right? ( I assume the last pole on the computer covers 2 last poles on the earphones and turns them both into ground?

Please advise as this is killing me.

Thanks a bunch!

MaturityDodger

What you're doing should work, and I'm not sure why it isn't.

The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe the extension manufacturer got lazy. I too would expect the sleeve part of the 3-pin female connector to connect to the sleeve and first ring on a 4-pole male connector. But maybe their female end only connects to part of it, and that part is the wrong part.

kyufaker

Novice Member
Thanks for that. Puzzled still. I know this is trivial but the rings sepparating the poles on my headphones are green while all the extensions are black. Any meaning behind that?

MaturityDodger

Thanks for that. Puzzled still. I know this is trivial but the rings sepparating the poles on my headphones are green while all the extensions are black. Any meaning behind that?
Aaah, you should've said so earlier.
The extensions you've bought, with black rings, are only compatible with goth and emo music. Try playing a different track through it. Something a little more 'green-sounding'.

But seriously, there's no convention that I know of in the insulation between conductors.

kyufaker

Novice Member
not sure how i would classify dubstep as...

weird thing is the extentions I bought I tried at home and I am getting the same issue...

earphones plugged directly in +1, via extention -1...

mind you I bought the extentions from different ebayers so somewhat low chance that they are equally broken...

if anyone out there is experiencing the same issue please let me know!

Thanks

Top Bottom