extending wireless coverage

ben2579

Established Member
Reaction score
We currently use a airport extreme as our router and are about to convert our loft. At the moment our signal just about covers the first floor but fear it will not reach to the converted loft. Am I right in thinking that buying an airport express will allow it to be used a booster to the current wireless coverage.

HAs anyone else used this method?

How well does this work?

Thanks Ben

I have done this to get to the back of our house and works very well indeed. My name is Ben too! ;-)

Have you thought about moving the Extreme to a more central position to cover all 3 floors, like in the middle of the house on 1st floor?

Great Name!!!

moving it is a little difficult as it is plugged into a printer and hard drive - but if it works well it is another good reason to buy another over priced apple product. Just bought apple tv which is actually very good!!

Ben (edict)

Cheers! And your qualified to know, in fairness! ;-)

Fair point. Not so straight forward once other devices hanging off it. The Express is great though and very simple to set up to extend your network. You get to choose which network to extend if you have the dual band Extreme, although the Express can only extend one of them, either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Shouldn't cause most people a problem though as usually use 2.4Ghz as its more supported by Apple.

ATV is very good in fairness. I only sold my 1st Gen as got a Mini to go in the Lounge to use Plex instead.

Bought my A extreme in 2007 or 2008 would that be dual band? Anyway like you say should be ok either way. I would also like to get a mini but just out of our price range at the movement as the new loft means lots of practical things to purchase - although might be able to talk my wife into Sky 1tb as a multiroom add on. At the moment just have to put up with itunes sharing to stream to ATV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom