Question Extending wi fi to garden

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by chaz, Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I Have a Virgin Router with quite a high download speed Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test but when in the garden it goes quite low so when the grandchildren come over with there i pads laptop etc they can not get hardly any signal. Is there a thingy that i can buy to boost the outside signal. Indoors the signal is very strong it is just outside. Thanks

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    It's not physically possible to "boost" any kind of radio signal.

Wi-Fi (by design) slows down as signalling conditions deteriorate and factors such as distance is one such condition. Gardens are also an (er) "interesting" challenge in that in the garden, it's quite likely you will be hearing all the neighbours Wi-Fi almost as well as your own, thereby increasing the "interference" conditions and again worsening the signalling conditions.

The solution for gardens is the same as anywhere else where Wi-Fi signalling conditions are not so good: One needs to deploy additional Wi-Fi hotspots closer to the required coverage area. Of course, outdoors climatic conditions (that's weather to me and you) add extra complexities in that the kit you choose has to be "weather proof" if you were to site it outdoors. Such kit does exist.

Alternatively one could choose an AP that has antenna on fly lead and mount the AP indoors, poke a hole through the wall and mount (weather proof) antenna outdoors overlooking the required coverage area.

Or one could deploy an "indoor" type AP but position in the house as close to the garden as possible. In an overlooking window for example. Some people who have garden sheds with power in them have installed an AP into the shed.

As ever, the "trick" with additional AP's is how one establishes the "backhaul" link between the outpost AP and the rest of the network. "Proper" wired ethernet backhauls are best (fastest, most reliable,) HomePlug/Powerline technology is (probably) next best and Wi-Fi backhauls using technologies such as "repeaters" and "mesh" links is do-able but likely to be least best.

In the UK, outdoors there are a few additional restrictions on which radio frequencies in the 5GHz waveband can be used, which is why some kit asks you to specify whether the AP is beng use indoors or outdoors in the config. (Kit that doesn't ask, most likely doesn't avail such frequencies at all.)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  3. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Thanks for all the info but to tetchy for me will leave it if the kids want to use there latop/i pads have to go indoors. But thank you for your efforts for me :thumbsup:

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    This is all you need :)

Solwise - EnGenius outdoor 300Meg 11n 5GHz CPE unit - EL-ENS500EXT | Solwise Ltd

If you can run a cat5/6 cable from it all the way back to your router then you're dancing, put it wherever you like in the garden etc and set it up in 'Access Point' mode.

If cabling back to your router isnt an option, mount it externally on a wall where you can still get signal from your existing wifi and run a cat5/6 cable back to the supplied POE adapter which you plug into a mains socket, set it up in 'Repeater' mode.

If you've managed to create an account and log into avforums, you're already overqualified for following the included quick instructions to get this installed. :)

If you get stuck get in touch, but you wont.

5. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Many Thanks I will have a look it seems it is the thing I need do you know how much they cost?

6. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Is your router at one end of the house and the garden at the other?

I take it you have an all-in-one router (WiFi built-in)?

Any chance on relocating the router? If not, (and we always recommend shortest cable from master socket to the router anyway, so if you've achieved this, don't go lengthening or extending the line cable unless you really must), could you get an Ethernet cable from the router to a room close to the garden? You could do this as a patch cable (say 30m or whatever, or get someone to install some CATegory 5e or 6 infrastructure for you), and then you could have a WiFi AP (or known as an Access Point) providing service to the garden area from that room.

Another solution, although good not technically as good as wired backhaul services as Mick says, is whole-house WiFi. There are currently loads of solutions around; BT, Ubiquiti, the man and his dog! This won't require any cabling infrastructure (unless you need some power in the right place) and then you can extend easily wirelessly.

Hope this helps...

7. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    £90 give or take a few quid :)