Question Extending TV Signal

Olliecottam

Novice Member
Hi, first post here.

I'm trying to extend a Virgin cable signal around my house, but failing miserably. I'm a novice at this, so wondered if anyone can help. Here's the set-up:

Cable into Tivo > Scart to Rf modulator > coax the bedroom 1 (5m long) [signal good at this point] > 12db gain booster > coax into loft (circa 20m) > splitter into main TV aerial signal booster > coax into 4 aerial sockets [signal varies from very fuzzy to non-existent]

The main TV signal works at all 4 TVs so I'm guessing the problem is the length of cable between the 12db gain booster and the main TV signal booster, but I don't know what the solution is.

Any help gratefully received!

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Personally I never like extending a signal this way as I prefer to run Cat6 and extend the HDMI output rather than the SCART output over coax.

However if you need to work with what you have I would try to break down the run you've created in order to find out which stage is the culprit.

Have you taken a TV into the loft and tested the signal at the end of the 20m run before it goes into the splitter?

Olliecottam

Novice Member
I haven't tried the TV in the loft. Good point.

Tell me morze about Cat6. Sounds complicated? Could I run cat 6 into the loft and reconvert to coax to use the existing aerial cabling?

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
You would need to run Cat6 right through the house as the idea is to carry the signal over Cat6 then use HDMI to Cat6 converters at each end. Could get expensive though as you would need to split the signal and convert it multiple times to send it 4 ways. I would try to fix what you have right now by checking the signal at the junctions in the circuit.

Bagpuss12

I used to have TiVo (now upgraded to V6) and this is what I had. Scart from TiVo into RF converter then co-ax into loft. This is connected to a 4-way booster which powers all 3 TV's upstairs. The picture is perfectly watchable but if you're after a perfect picture you won't achieve it with co-ax.

Bagpuss12

Well my co-ax runs from my ground floor living room up the front of my house and into the loft above the 2nd floor so probably about 10metres altogether?

Bagpuss12

Yep, certainly is!

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Coax can transmit a signal pretty far, did you check the signal in the loft yet?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom