Extending speaker cable

KitKatCar

Novice Member
Hi All, Just joined!
I have cavity cabled wall mounted speakers and want to be able to, from time to time, plug in my better quality floor standing speakers (and back again). I have been looking for female to female banana plugs so I can simply unplug male BPs from wall speakers and then be able to re-plug into Floor standing cables.
But cant find a good solution. I bought some on ebay but they were small, flimsy and without enough cavity to take full length of each BP and so get a solid and secure connection.
Any help or advise would be gratefully received. Thanks

password1

There could be a more convenient way by using a speaker switching box. Just flick a switch rather than unpluging and pluging all the speaker cables every time.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

KitKatCar

Novice Member
There could be a more convenient way by using a speaker switching box. Just flick a switch rather than unpluging and pluging all the speaker cables every time.
Thanks PW1, but I already have one switching box coming out of the amps (naim) for one part of room (Living area) and another Kitchen area or both. Also 'Better Half' ascetically challenged by cables so need to set up when see is out (of sight)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I would be inclined to get some "jumpers" made, so that you can permanently have the 4mm plugs connected to your speakers and you use a multi-way plug such as a Speakon or XLR to quickly move the connection from 1 to another.

All then you would need to do is unplug 1 connector to each speaker and move it to the other one.

VDC Trading can make you exactly what you need to order.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Here is a thread on Splicing Speaker Wire. That's not quite what you need to do by there should be some helpful information there -

You can get Female-to-Female Banana Connector or Couplers -

Amazon-UK - CDL Micro 4mm Banana Plug Female to Female Coupler/Joiner/Connector - Black (Pack of 5)

Amazon-UK - CDL Micro 4mm Banana Plug Female to Female Coupler/Joiner/Connector - Red (Pack of 5)

I suspect COVID-19 is disrupting the supply chain, but if nothing else, this demonstrates that such a product does exist.

Searching Amazon, I did find these as an alternative -

Amazon-UK - No logo 10pcs 4mm Banana Jack Female to Female Adapter Coupler (Red & Blk) -

How are your cavity cabled wall mounted speakers connected? That is, how do you connect the speaker wire to them now? Is there a Wall Plate that you plug into?

Example -

Amazon-UK - 4.0 Surround Sound Speaker Wall Plate with Gold Binding Posts

Steve/bluewizard