1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extending sky+ cabling

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ccfc1972, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ccfc1972

ccfc1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for such a basic question, I'm sure this is very simple but I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to this sort of thing.

I need to move my tv but the 2 cables running from the wall to the Sky+ box are not long enough. What is the easiest way of extending the cable?

Cheers

2. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Easiest way is to buy sufficient low loss sat coaxial 75 ohm cable, and if the cables terminate into a screw type chassis wall socket, remove the 4 x F connectors from your existing cable, by unscrewing, and strip away sufficent length of the central solid core, of the replacement cable, to go through the centre of the plug, in order to leave about 3mm protruding, it doesn't matter if it is too long, you can snip of the surplus, after assembly, cut back the outer sheath of the cable, about 3mm, leaving the copper braid intact, push back the outer braiding, making sure that none of it touches the central core, screw the body of the F connector onto the cable, the body has a coarse thread inside to grip the outer cable covering, and the job is done. Lot of waffle for what is really a very simple operation. If your cable comes through the wall, and you do not have a wall mounted socket, then you will need 2 x socket to socket F connectors, screw the existing cable onto one side of the connector, and the extension on to the other Maplin do all the connectors, and they also list the correct type of cable to suit. B & Q and homebase also do them.There are instructions how to fit. There are better crimped plugs available, but a crimping tool is required, about £19.99.
    www.maplin.co.uk FU04E

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can buy "back to back couplers" for F connectors at Maplins and good DIY stores. Just make up a pair of extension cables with F connectors at each end, and connect to the existing cables with the back-to-back couplers. (A back to back coupler is a treaded tube with an F socket at each end).