extending / renovating

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by richard plumb, Jan 30, 2009.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    hi

getting the itch as our house needs a good decorate, and I'm reluctant to spend time/money on it as its feeling too small these days and so I want to renovate at the same time. Not sure about moving as its likely to be really expensive to add a bedroom/more space, even with the downturn. I'm assuming extending/opening up the house will be way cheaper.

I'm in two minds as to how to proceed. there is a ton of stuff we could do and I don't know whether to do it in phases, or wait and do it all at once. The kitchen is a bit small, we could do with a downstairs loo, the boiler needs replacing in a couple of years probably, and we'd like more bedroom space so my kids who are sharing can have one each - we have three bedrooms but one is really small.

Thinking of extending, and we have a couple of possibilities - extend the front of the house out level with the garage, and two stories, or extend the back out over the decking as a single story to give us more space to make an open living/dining area.

but I'm at a loss as to inspiration or guidance. For almost any other subject you can just go on the internet and find options/examples etc. But i've been looking for floorplans to help think through how I use the space and there is very little about.

Should I go to an architect and get some options drawn up? Its doing my head in at the moment going round and round in circles.

2. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Richard,

An architect would be your best option - they will have a number of ideas that you could follow, and hopefully an idea of costs also. However, do bear in mind that their time won't be free (maybe the intital discussion at your property, but that will be about it).

Cheers

Joust

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    yeah, I almost don't mind spending some money to help get my head straight and focus my attentions in the right direction. would also be good to get a rough idea of costs so I know how long to save for :)

4. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    We converted part of our garage into another room/office/bedroom. Best thing I ever did. Really makes the house feel bigger. Father in law gave instructions (retired carpenter after a stroke) and we did the work. Only cost just under £2000 in the end.

5. webkami

webkami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R1ply, I like the idea of it.

You can turn that extra room to whatever you want.
    Lan Party Room
    Little Theater

Give a try to free designing and planning softwares as well.

6. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,369
    Have a play around with google sketch-up.

When I did my build, like everything we got 3 prices including the architect. All 3 gave us a drawing based on what we had discussed free of charge. :thumbsup:

The finished house build was nothing like the drawings in the end though because of so many changes along the way.

A piece of advice an architect gave me was that there are 2 ways of designing a house / extension. The first way is to plan the layout of the rooms that you want / need, and the outside will take it's own shape (within reason).
    The other way is to plan how you want it to look from the outside, and build the internals rooms around that vision.

One works on how the build looks from the inside out, the other from the outside in.

When driving around now I can spot the builds that were done for show, and those done for practicality. How sad am I :rolleyes: :suicide:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  7. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009