Extending LAN & Wi-Fi

Steven_W

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first off I read THIS THREAD all the way through, very interesting!

I have the following setup:

ISP: Sky (UK)

Router: Standard Sky (details below)

System Details
Manufacturer Sagemcom
Model Number F@ST2504n
Firmware Version 5.23.1a4N
ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b

I have an XBox260, a VOIP box (Vonage) & a WII connected. I also have a cable going from here via one of the 4 ports to another Netgear WGR614 wireless router upstairs.

I haven't bothered to turn the Wi-Fi on upstairs as I was happy just using 3 ports (network printer, desktop Mac & a NAS drive) but now I think I'll turn the wireless on to extend the range a bit.

Couple of questions (to allow free roaming and any device latch on to the best signal & swap without interrupting as the signal goes from weak on one to strong on the other)

1.Should the SSID be the same as the sky modem/router?
2.Should the password be the same?
3.Do I need to do anything from factory reset other than turn off DHCP?

*NOTE* I am connected via one of the 4 LAN ports NOT the WAN port as this just doesn't work!

Many thanks & if I missed something that has already posted, I apologise & please point me in the right direction! Cheers.

1.Should the SSID be the same as the sky modem/router?
2.Should the password be the same?
3.Do I need to do anything from factory reset other than turn off DHCP?

1&2: Basically everything "wi-fi" needs to be the same (SSID, passphrase, encryption, etc.) except the radio channels. For 2 coverages cell, the simplest thing to advise (without getting into a huge discussion on wifi channel overlaps,) would be to choose two radio channels as far apart as you can get them that give the biggest margin over any neighbouring AP's. The "Wifi interfence" FAQ also here, discuss a lot about wi-fi channels and how to survey your locale.

3: Yes, check that both your "routers" aren't using the same IP address, though if they've been OK so far, then they probably aren't.

Note that when/if to roam is something that the client devices decide, not the routers. Some clients will doggedly hang on to a working link until they absolutely have to roam, some are more agressive. Just don't be too dissappointed if your clients don't seem to be roaming as often as you think they ought to.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for this! I probably use some of the wrong terminology too, routers/switches/access points etc... I need a proper lesson in all this!

Thanks again!

PS I actually own an xbox360, not 260! haha

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom