Extending Dish to Receiver Cables

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by windfall, Sep 9, 2004.

1. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hey Chaps

Just having a big clear up and in purchasing my new rack I have found that the cables laid by Sky are now not long enough to reach the new location of the digibox.

Is it ok to extend these (I need about another 6 feet not too much) and if so what is the best way? Should I terminate the existing cables with normal aerial adaptors or purchase the correct "satellite" type connectors and apply the same on the end that goes into the dish?

If anyone can answer quick like I would appreciate it as I can pop out and get some more co-ax and sort this out before her indoors gets back!

Also with regards to routing power and coax should I use seperate conduit for this? I plan to relay the aerial and sky coax in one conduit and all the power in another is this gonna be ok?

Cheers

Tone

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Extend the cables using F type barrels, i.e. use the existing f type connectors on your cables obtain two new extension cables and use the f type barrel to join them, the signal loss done correctly this way is 4/5th's of bugger all.....
    It is always good practise to separate mains and RF cables as much as possible, never bung them down the same conduit as that is technically against the wiring regs not to mention likely to give interference issues if everything else isn't perfect.

3. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4