1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

extending cable from satellite dish to digibox

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ryancant, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ryancant

ryancant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can anyone help ? I'm moving my digibox to the bedroom and the lead from the dish is about 7 meters short. I can't get to the dish to re-wire (too high) so i need to splice or buy a connector.
    I have two old splitters lying around from a previous sky or cable installation but they don't seem to work as connectors.

any ideas ?

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Connecting to cables together shouldn't be a major problem, subject to a little signal loss.

All you need is a cable with F Connectors on each end and what is called a F Barrel (basically 2 female f screw threads back to back)

Should be about £2 - £5 at B&Q or a Tandy etc.

The splitters may not work because they are either not designed to pass satellite frequencies or the power required for the dish.

3. ryancant

ryancant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Vex.
    I think the cable from the dish already has an f connector on it. I'm guessing that's standard on a Sky digital installation and is what screws into the back of the digibox.
    I'll get down to B&Q and get an F barrel and a length of cable long enough with two F connectors on the end.

Thanks for your help.

4. Stingingwasp

Stingingwasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats what I did. I got the F-connector from B&Q. Luckly I havent noticed any signal loss.