• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Extending BT Telephone Socket with Cat5

reez777

Banned
I have a BT Master Socket which needs to stay where it is, but I need to extend this about 60m away.

What has been done, is a normal cable (BT to RJ11) has been cut. The BT plug part plugged into the master socket and on the other end, two wires have been joined onto a Cat 5 Cable via a junction box)

The blue and white of blue pair were used.

The Cat 5 cable runs all the way to another BT socket 60m away, and the blue and white of blue pair are plugged into 2 and 5 on the BT socket.

No dial tone!

Qu: Do I need a MODTAP for this type of connection?

Qu: The BT Cable to RJ11 cable has 4 wires in it. Does it make a difference which two are used?

THE BT MAIN CABLE that goes into the BT Master Socket uses the BLACK and GREEN cable.

Please help

Paul_McG

Established Member
What you're doing is quite correct, and you don't need a MOD TAP.
The BT line is on pins 2 & 5 from the socket so that's fine. Check to make sure you're connecting the CAT5 cable to pins 2 & 5 on the BT Plug. I'm assuming the cable you're connecting the CAT5 to has 4 wires from the BT plug, connect to the first and last.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom