Extended Warranty ?

Ziggy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Are extended warranties a waste of time. Reason i ask, is i saw a comment from someone in this forum who said screen burn was not covered under warranty or extended warranty. Which isn't what a comet salesman told me. He said that their extended warranties covered screen burn and they would simply replace the unit if it happened. He made a point of showing me a screen that it had happened to. Anyone have any thoughts ?
After reading through the plasma tv forum i came to the decision that i would go for the Panasonic TH42PV500CAB after considering the Hitachi 7200 ,but now i've seen peoples comments about the new Pioneer 436 im not so sure ? Talk about confused.
:rolleyes: :confused:

I doubt it really does cover screen burn, I know DSG coverplan doesn't it says it in their brochure.

The comet brochure is doesn't give much information though.
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/content/services/images/tpc_leaflet.pdf

I would guess they would get out of it by saying you didnt follow the manufacturer's instructions which is what they have written under the "what we dont cover" section.

Office of Fair Trading recently concluded that extended warranties were a rip off. Report makes some interesting points like how many appliences fail is not made clear to the consumer. Appliances with higher failure rates cost the same for a warranty as those that rarely fail.

My conclusion - don't bother, or shop around. Cahnces are the OFT will be shaking up the rules of selling these things soon anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom