Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by lapman22, Aug 26, 2004.

1. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As mentioned in a previous tread (about prof. installation) , I'm in the process of purchasing a 2nd hand Panasonic 50" plasma from a respectable forum member.

My #1 priority (after the technical part , of course) is the warranty. The screen is 8 months old and is in mint condition.

WHile trying to arrange an extended warranty on this , I've ran into some trouble.

Barron Mccan , one of the major players in plasma service told me that they deal with business models and will probably not be able to offer me such warranty. The guy I've spoken to was suppose to check and call me back. he never did...

My home insurance heard that this is a 2nd hand screen and told me they would have to double the premium for that to be included. :suicide:

Domestic & General had some mixed feelings. When I first spoken to them to get a quote , the chap was friendly and offered me the extended warranty , no problem. They would charge 399 for 1 year and 720 for 2 , assuming the screen is within it's first 12 months since purchase. When I called again yesterday to confirm they said that only LCD TV appears on their list of appliances. Plasma? Not sure... :confused: :confused: Their sup. promised to check and fax me a confirmation. The quote he gave me was 269 for 1 year... Just got an email from them saying they will not deal with 2nd hand items! :confused: :mad:

I've read that some credit cards offer this , but this is a private sale so I guess no cards.

As I really want to move forward with the purchase (and so does the seller) I'd appriciate some advice on the matter.

Cheers,

Lapman.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I know a company that will do under 6 months old, find a company that will do it, then check it is transferable. And just add cost of warranty within sale.

3. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THanks. I think the main problem is not the age of the plasma , but rather the 2nd hand facotr. Can you let me know the details of that company? I'll contact them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Lapman.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  5. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One possible way.....

Open a Barclays Additions plus account. Open a paypal account. Buy the plasma off him using your credit additions credit card. You get 1 years additional warranty for free, as its purchasd on tjhe card. The small print makes no reference to secondhand.

If you can open a platinum account, you get an additional two years.

6. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I thought this.
    Barclaycard offer extra year warranty for goods under £500.
    2 years warranty for goods over £500.

EXCLUDED

ALL PLASMAS LCD PROJECTORS

Sorry mate

7. mikatt

mikatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nationwide Visa covers additional year for Plasma screens

Mike

8. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is absolutely amazing the stuff you can learn from this forum... ;) I've got a Barclays platinum card , and was told the same thing - we do not cover plasma or lcd screens.

Cheers,

Lapman.

9. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As a matter of interest I have a Norwich Union Home appliance insurance policy-£12 per month - maximum item cover of £5000 which covers my 36"
    Philips TV

BUT WILL NOT COVER any Plasma or LCD

Now why-they must know something that we dont-Reliability problems or lack of technical expertise in the British market place to understand and repair these products.
    Why do John Lewis only sell certain products-the five year warranty must be a factor in their marketing strategy.

Who has the answer - as stated you learn wonderful things on this forum - tell us.

10. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just goes to show, price match at John Lewis. The warranty is worth a lot in its own right.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Its aprtly to do with contracts, Panny wont let any panny serivce dealer touch plasma or LCD, for some reason they seem to think Baron Mcann and Sontec to name a few are the only capable people to repair these units, other manufacturer who use panny screens will allow for repairs to be done by there service dealers. Fujitsu will also provided you have relevant traing etc. Insurance companies only sell waranty to make money, and for them there is not enough profit in it, but replacing a PSU or proceesor board in a plasma is no harder or more labour expensive than a CRT TV........ Parts are a different kettle of fish but asz they wont sell anyone other than the contracted monkeys parts they may as well be either free or £10000000.00 esach!

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    It's probably partly to do with risk exposure as well.

Plasma's are relatively new and a high ticket item. PSU's and processor boards maybe relatively fairly priced but if something was to go wrong with the screen itself, it would invariably mean new Plasma altogether.

With it also being comparatively unproven technology out in the field and long term reliability against CRT for example. They're also reasons why Plasma premiums are so high.

But in any case you are wise to get it covered because if it were to go wrong and you had to pay the bill out your own pocket you may also see it the way insurance companies do !

13. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    my natwest gold card offers 1 year additional warrenty
    but excludes Plasma TV .............. Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Gonna get a Nationwide card

14. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My own thoughts on home insurance are if you can afford to replace an item after fire, theft or a fault dont bother to insure insurance companies are just glorified bookmakers you never see a poor one.
    just the thoughts of a cynic

regards tradesman

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,161
    Hello all

I've asked this a few times before - Has anyone confirmed JL actually cover Plasma TV's?

I have heard of JL customers having hassles making a claim on a PlasmaTV due to the nature of the 'Fault'.

What's in the Small Print! Do you get as much cover as your expecting!

There are many factors involved with Servicing this kit - not least of which is having enough cash to sign up for a Spare Parts account; from memory we'd need to spend £10K (ex vat) a month minimum to retain a Panasonic Spares account!!!

Best regards

Joe

16. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My experience of their wearranty is a rubber stamp on the receipt saying
    this is your "5 year Warranty". Nothing else.

I see now on the plasmas and lcd they are now offering their 5 year warranty
    and in addition
    offering extra year for a price=6 years.
    NJ

17. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I got mine from JL and they clarified the 5 year warranty is exactly the same as what they offer on any television they sell.

Any faults in that time will be repaired and in the likely hood of it being beyond economical repair which may quite easily be the case with a Plasma they would replace it with a new one.

JL are an excellent company and it's just not their style to try and shortchange you on a warranty scheme that they are well reknowned for.

It's been said many times before and will be said again, JL is the very best place to buy your television from. I measure customer service not by when someone sells you something but by how they deal with you when it goes wrong. In every instance with JL it has been a no nonsense no questions asked attitude and nothing has been too much trouble.

I cannot think of any other supplier that can come close to that or match that in all my personal experiences.

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,161
    Ekko Star

I wasn't suggesting anything other than great service from JL but had heard of 'issues' - for example what happens with stuck or dead pixels that appear 'in life'?

LCD and Plasma are not like a conventional CRT and I think anyone not in the know or not reading the small print may be surprised if they do get stuck or dead pixels during the period of the extended warranty.

Best regards

Joe

19. dalepearson

dalepearson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So have most people on here gone for an extended warrenty, or just stayed with the 1 year you get as standard and hope for the best?

Thanks

Dale

20. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Joe, to be fair if pixels were to fail into the extended warranty, the manufacturer can claim that is still within tolerances. Leaves both the customer and supplier in an awkward position.

We all know that even when you open a brand new box there can be dead pixels on a screen which a manufacturer may wish not to replace purely down to their policies.

I think it would be seriously unfair to hold that against ANY supplier as they have to work within manufacturers tolerances as well especially long into a warranty.

However on the topic of failing pixels, I actually clarified this when I got my Viera from them. If dead pixels begin to appear or fail into the warranted life of the plasma JL will classify it as a fault. The seriousness would probably be dictated by the location on the screen and the age of the screen. What they will not cover is accidental damage such as if you break the screen or if it fell etc. External policies such as D&G will cover accidental damage but you really want to pay there sort of prices for a clause that would very likely be covered by you home insurance ?

I think the essence of it is, JL are simply not that type of store that tries to pull the wool over your eyes by selling you a dodgy 5 year warranty. If you speak to customer services they will tell you it's very expensive for them to actually offer this kind of warranty on Plasma but they feel they have to in order to put peoples mind at ease over such an expensive piece of equipment. They are in actual fact one of the only stores left that have any real ethics about them.

I got my Viera at Rock Bottom price matched by undersales with a 5 year warranty. Nothing was too much trouble and the service impeccable and they have since changed my screen twice as well. I was contemplating changing it for a 434 and they offered to take my Viera floor stand back as well if I wanted to change models. Even though the stand had been assembled and used, no problem they would take it back, their unprovoked response was "it's not your fault the screen is faulty so we don't expect you to keep a dedicated stand."

Absolutely superb. :smashin: