Extended Warranty - Yes / No ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by themmings, Jan 12, 2003.

1. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Attention all plasma owners:

If you've got a plasma, what warranty have you got with yours?

Have you got the standard 1 year, or have you purchased an additional warranty.

I'm really interestd to find out what the general trend is amongst plasma owners.

Are they worth it? Plasmas ain't cheap, and if they were to go bang after a year, well....

Let me know.

Thanks all

Timbo :)

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Standard one year, it did go " bang " outside initial warranty, was replaced by Philips at no charge, but wouldn't bank on this.
    Investigated extended guarantee premium from www.domgen.com but decided against it.
    The John Lewis / Richer Sounds deal looks ostensibly very attractive for new buyers.

3. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That was fortunate:)

Come on, what's everybody else opted for.... these things aren't cheap?

Tim:rolleyes:

4. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, just one year only. If it would go after that, I would check out the house hold insurance

PVR

5. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mines 1 year as well, thing is chances are if u have a faulty screen it'll go wrong in the first few months. So a year is sufficient. Regarding home insurance covering it, I have mine covered on my old for new policy that includes accidential damage. But there are clauses in there eg , if it got damaged via moving etc its not covered - so make sure u read the small print.

6. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK... so if it accidentally broke down, it would accidentally get damaged whilst you were taking it off the wall to send to the Plasma repair man:D

Extended warranties are so expensive....

Tim:confused:

7. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also you may need to contact your insurers anyway to inform them of your high value purchase. Some won't cover you unless you do, and some impose value limits of what they cover.

8. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the RS warranty for £250. I agree that if it's going to go bang it'll happen in the first few months, but paying an extra 7% for 3 years peace of mind (and nagging from the wife if it goes wrong!) is worth it.

Prices vary a lot though, from £0 (JL) to £800+ (Seven Oaks)

9. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Or £1600 for 5 yr warranty at Comets for the Panny 5!!!!

10. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting,
    since the original 1yr warranty is with panasonic, would it not make sense for them to sell u a extension warranty ????.
    I'll enquire about this with panasonic ....

11. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think it's about £550 to extend Panansonic's warranty for a further 2 years with them

12. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5 year parts and Labour with JL on my Series 5 Panny.

No extra cost and happened to get the tuner box for free as they have to ship with it (due to issues with connectivity).

All in all, I got the series 5, tuner box and 5 year parts and labour for £3375.00 at JL. Im happy with that deal.

On the insurance front, you should let your insurer know, but they will not load your insurance (at least most wont). However, you need to let them know, provide copies of receipts for proof, etc. (The other half works in insurance, so knows the score).

Cheers
    Speedy

13. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    extended warranties arent worth the paper there written on imo.

If i bought a plasma and after a couple of years it died for no reason i'd complain and get it fixed anyway.

Its a mith that all you get is 12 months warranty. Alot of goods are covered up to 6 years.

Example:

Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about 18 months ago, and the freezer section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, and they refused to do anything as it was outside the original 12 month guarantee. What are my rights?
    A. Firstly, when you buy goods from a shop, you enter into a contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended), which holds the shop liable for up to 6 years after purchase, providing that you can show that the problem is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear and tear. Secondly, remember that the guarantee is only ever going to be in addition to your legal rights, and is offered by the manufacturer of the goods as a goodwill gesture. Don't be taken in by the shop's argument here - they are using the issue of the guarantee as a red herring to try to avoid their legal obligations toward you. See our leaflet 'Buying Goods' for more information on your rights.

for more info:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0054-1011.txt

14. dgj

dgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re extended warrenty. I had alook at both the Pioneer and Panasonic sites, Pioneer refer you to an insurance company for this but Panasonic will do an extended 3 year warrenty which includes a replacement screen while yours is in for repair.

I guess the other plasma screen manufactors will do oneor the other and I assume the cost will be cheaper than the stores own extended warrenty.

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Are you confusing a warranty period with a stated period of time within which a claim may be pursued ?
    I understood the 6 year rule to be protecting the seller from
    any claims outside this period.
    i.e. Your rights to an in warranty repair at no cost to you might be say, 12 months or 24 months but if you have any other issue to resolve it must be pressed within the 6 years.
    This does not of course imply you may expect a no cost repair during the whole 6 year period.
    Hats off to you if you can though :cool:

16. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >Are you confusing a warranty period with a stated period of time within which a claim may be pursued ?
    I understood the 6 year rule to be protecting the seller from
    any claims outside this period.

No, read my post again.