1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended warranty or home insurance ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by salfordred, Aug 28, 2005.

1. salfordred

salfordred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to purchase the TH37PV500PED, and wondered what to do about warranties. It's over £300 to get an extended warranty.... so.... do I get it, or should home insurance cover any problems seeing as they cover accidental damage etc.....

What have you guys done ?

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I would just make sure it was on my hoome insurance.

Or get John Lewis to price match as they give a 5 yr warranty on any TV.

3. salfordred

salfordred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What info do you need to give them to get the price match ?
    Also.... do you have to purchase in store rather than online ?

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    You would have to give them the name of a shop, not online retailer, or at least an online reatiler with a shop as well, and they would check that they have stock and then price match.
    Some JL stores are better than others and will match a shop if it is near another JL store, some however will only match a shop if it is whithin the required distance of their store.

5. salfordred

salfordred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any recommendations ?

6. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Salfordred,

Good luck with a JL pricematch, the energy you will expend tring to get this and reading hundreds of forum entries with folk saying they tried to pricematch by phoning 3 stores and triangulating the results via GPS and using a dousing stick, means that if you had used the same energy picking potatoes over the summer, you would have made more money and it would have done your health more good.

For the few who manage it, well done, personally I would rather gouge my eyes out with two rusty forks (price match avaialble if you find two stores with forks and a price in the window, and you get a 5 year guarantee.......like.......WOW!)

Good luck..................

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    no mate, sorry.

But there was a big thread regarding JL pricematching of the PV500, maybe worth a read?

8. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

a bit over dramatic ;) ...but probably correct, as not many people do get JL to pricematch owt

.... but is has been known :eek:

9. salfordred

salfordred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys..... just thinking though.... I'd prefer to go with a 'buy now pay in 12 months' option as I'm buying this for my house which I am about to move into, and I have that much other stuff that I want to buy it would be easier to pay next year.

So..... back to the original question.... Extended warranty or home insurance ?

I'm just worried that the screen cocks up after 18 months and I have no warranty.

10. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    surely there is a limit to what home insurance will cover you for. E.G if the power supply unit failed, would your home insurance replace it?

11. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    there is a thread somewhere that states that any expensive product of good quality, say that of a pv500, should last atleast a certain period of time, a pv500 is estimated to last about 5 years, and if it doesn't ,your statutory rights allow you to claim for a repair under warranty. this makes an extended warranty unesseccary.... dont think i would try it though

12. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    :oops: i hope the thread i refer to above wasnt posted on april 1st

13. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over dramatic is my middle name............it's like the 1000 yard stare, these forums can drive you crazy...... (but can also be a zen like font of knowledge)

Once you have tried JL pricematch, and are a gibbering wreck sipping meths and staring at a rusty razor blade whilst rocking back and forth, looking at an unopened plasma (cos yopu are scared to open it as you just know it is riddled with faults that the voices in the forums, and your head have told you about)..........am I being over dramatic again?......sorry.

You could always wait for the manufacturer to send you a letter offering an extended warreanty, use AV Sales who do these whether you buy from them or not, or go on the basis that like most things, any problems are likely to come to light in the first few months.

As for home insurance, it may cover accidental damage, it is unlikely to cover pixels failing, screen burn etc etc. If a kid chucks a tomato sauce bottle at it, you are covered, otherwise, I would save the £300............but it's your choice.

I'm sorry. the voices in my head are talking about 1080P........progressive scan...............DVI...................LCD v PLASMA.............Can you make them stop??????????????

14. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    i find that drinking large amounts of beer stop the voices in my head

15. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Home insurance won't cover you for parts failing also some policies have a single item maximum limit. My Halifax contents insurance has a maximum single item limit of £2000 which is more than adequate for my PWD6 but won't be enough for some of the latest HD models around.

16. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wise man say

"If you pay £200 per year for an extended warranty........it will work flawlessly forever............and you will hate yourself"

"If you pay nothing, it will pack in on day 366, and you will have to buy a second hand CRT, and blutak a poster of a female tennis player scratching her bum over the top of your plasma......or perhaps a spanish child crying"

Don't look at a plasma puchase as being expensive and that you need to cover all eventualities, because that is the way of madness and worry, and any enjoyment you may get will be ruined by worry

Life is a risk...............buy the plasma...........enjoy it, and if it packs in, put it down to a life experience..........you are dead a long time and as I often say, when some folk have to walk 4 miles to get clean water every day..........does it really matter if you get a dead pixel on your plasma telly on day 366?

(Am I being profound, obtuse, or just a pain in the arse............I think I'll get my coat) :thumbsup:

17. salfordred

salfordred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good answer......

Perhaps I get the home insurance.... when the dead pixel arrives, then I'll just push it over and say the kids did it..... do you think that would wash ?

18. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wise man say

"Those who push plasma over due to dead pixel........will find the screen crushes the child, tears the electrics out of the wall, starts a fire that burns down the house as well as those close by, to then have a perfectly preserved plasma screen, with one pixel clearly faulty, a rejected insurance claim, and a charge of fraud and wilful firestarting"

PS Buy a CRT, their forums are full of advice about how big a pot plant you can fit on top, none of this hi def malarkey..............

19. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Dont be put off by the JL nay sayers, give them a go, they price matched for me, i got a Samsung PS42S5H for £1499, thats with delivery and 5 year warranty. £500 off the price they are advertising online.

And this was first time, no hassle. Very pleased.