1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Warranty - JL and others

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loungefly, Jun 3, 2005.

1. loungefly

loungefly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if a John Lewis 5 year warrenty is just as good as buying a warrenty that is offered when you buy a plasma - such as the warrenty available from av-sales site?

2. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    John Lewis are A1 for everything, would always prefer them to anyone else.

Best shop in the uk

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well never had any probs and I have had some $ put back on my cards a few times :-0

4. svijay

svijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JL literature clearly excludes Accidental Damange,
    Screenburn and Pixel Drop from their warranty.

5. loungefly

loungefly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do the other warrenties you pay extra for include Accidental Damange,
    Screenburn and Pixel Drop?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    screen burn is your fault, not covered by any warranty, maybe by yourhousehold insurance? Pixel dropout, there should be a definition of what exactly is covered

7. mafioso

mafioso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard from a close source @ JL that they are currently reviewing their 5 year warranty deals on AV items - particularly plasmas (on a cost / benefit basis), with a view to potentially removing them completely!!
    This is possibly down to the increasing awareness of customer's ability to price match against JL prices, but also the fact that if a plasma goes wrong, most 'approved' repairers don't have a clue as to how to repair them as they are so complicated and more often than not, they end up being replaced under the policy.
    In reality as plasmas get constantly updated every 6-12 months, a customer will in all likelihood have replacement of a newer model. Not only that, as plasma prices have been coming down so quickly, if you bought a plasma a year or 2 ago which would have cost 3-4k and you had it replaced under the warranty with a newer model now going for only £2k you could be entitled for a refund of the difference. Simply because under the warranty your product should be replaced by the equivalent model of the same value!
    I actually know of people who have capitalised from this through JL.

So get the 5 year warranty from JL while you can!!!!

8. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

This worries me, have had my eye on a 42" PV500 with pedestal stand, but have decided to wait a few weeks and let the price settle between retailers. I intend to take advantage of the john Lewis price match and 5 year guarantee, but if the policy is due to change shortly I will accelerate my plans to purchase. I feel the 5 year guarantee and piece of mind when shopping at John Lewis has a money value of about £400 to me, so when factoring in price match, it's a win-win situation.

Anyone else know about this apparent future policy change and would anyone know when this might occur.

Thanks

Sheks

9. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Interesting -- if JL did stop their 5 yr guarantee it would likely decrease their sales noticeably. I also ordered my plasma (PD427200) thru JL, and only after they price matched for me.

If they hadn't matched then I would have likely bought from an e-tailer and bought a separate warranty for £300 or so. That would have come out at just over £2k anyway.

I can understand JL's point of view though.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've mentioned this previously, and been shouted down! It's simply not economic for them to carry on like this. Regrettably they are a business, and will stop doing things which are not profitable. Maybe things like selling LG and Hitachi plasmas, they are the ones returned most frequently. Most certainly they cannot afford to give away £300+ worth of warranty with a heavily discounted plasma. I don't think you lot really believe how little money is made on a plasma sale. It can be as little as £50 if you are price matching the cheapest e-tailer, and on some plasmas, it's quite possible to make a loss! For me, they are the 'loss leader', I make 1-2% of my business profit on plasma.

11. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with Maw, although Im sure JL has a huge buying power of smaller stores. i would have thought they would have a 40% mark up as the ygive the staff an instant 13% discount on electrical goods and 25% on all other products.

John Lewis has excellent service and im afraid to say no other retailer comes close apart from House of Frasier.

If something goes wrong Lewis offer instant soloutions.

I just wouldnt spend thousands of pounds anywhere else, I know I paid a few quid over the odds but as MAW will tell you saving a few quid now could cost you dearly later.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Trust me Greyhorse, if I was making 20% mark up on plasmas, I'd already be retired. I sell quite enough for some discounts, no, not JL style, but there is not that much, maybe another 5% to come from the makers. 40% is ludicrously huge, you are on another planet, truly.