Extended Warranty From a Main Dealer

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Razor, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I got a letter from BMW saying that they would extended my manufactures warranty for a monthly sum as my car is approaching the 3 year old mark.

I have 3 different choices with the top level of cover going for £66 per month, next level down costing £55 per month and the cheapest being £44 per month.

I am considering doing the £66 per month package but was wondering if its worth doing and if the price is ok. I have an E60 530D M Sport 2006 with 35k on the clock.

A friend suggested getting a extended warranty from somewhere else instead of BMW. Is this a wise idea? Will it be as comprehensive as BMWs?

2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    Seems abit expensive, from what ive heard on the Z4 forum you can get extended warranty for around £400 for the year from BMW. Check the small print also as its amazing what they wont pay out for sometimes.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    compare it to the cost of warranty direct or RAC etc,

4. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    it its extending the original warranty ie all encompassing and no limits its a bargain for a car that complicated and expensive to repair, if its got limitations compare it with the others about as suggested.

5. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I think the price scales up with the value of the car. A Z4 I would of thought would be cheaper as would a 3 or 1 series.

Cheers mate I will have a look. :smashin:

Thats what i was thinking. £66 per month isnt allot if something goes wrong. I could be looking at a repair bill of thousands.

6. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Well, what are you for labour down your way razor? £150 ish? per hour?

Labour alone is the killer especially as BM refuse to budge from documented hours.

Most of even the small jobs seem to creep past £300 no problem.

Touch wood you'll never need it but maybe until you find a good independent then your at the mercy of the stealership.

Liam

7. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,480
    interesting to know as i am coming up to the end of my 1 year additional BMW warranty in September (got it when i bought the car from the Dealer).

Been thinking about it and had a quick look round and it's a fairly decent price. A lot of places are around the £40 mark but then when you mention it's a 5 series that adds about £15 a month on top.

With regards independants v dealers here is a quick resume of my car last week.

Due a pollen filter change (needs 2 on the 5 series) and brake fluid change.

Called local dealer - price £170 all in, can do it next day.

Called independant for price - they advise they would check price and call me back, no call back, i chased up the next day and they advise that it would be £200 about possible more and couldn't do it for 10 days as they had lots of staff off sick.

Car went to dealers - £165 all in, full inside and outside valet, standard scope service and all leather cleaned inside. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Let me know how you get on razor and what prices you get anywhere else.

8. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I think i was quoted 15 grand for an engine and gearbox rebuild on a S4 biturbo, from audi

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    But aren't BMW's meant to be one of the most reliable cars?

Only 35k and you are already worried about repairs costing thousands of pounds? :confused:

Should have bought a lexus :devil:

My wife has run her current and previous BMWs for 6 years each to 75k.

Servicing and consumables aside, I doubt her repair costs in that 12 year period have been more than 1 years payments you are looking at.

That said, she has had minor problem of late with her 525, hence we are looking to replace rather than repair.

10. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    German cars are very unreliable in my books (by modern standards), my S4 went in 6 times for various faults over 3 years, I rejected my RS4 after 18months (9 months spent in bits) and even my R32 has been in 7 times in 2 years for faults, 3 times the ecu blew up leaving me stranded (which was down to some known fault with the fans, and the replacement part was also faulty lol).

And my mates brand new M5 got 200 yards out of the dealership before that blew the ecu.

Compared to my missus MR2 6 years and 90k miles and has never even blown a bulb or the 6 other honda's and toyota's that we have had and never had a single fault on any of them.

But i expected the R32 to go wrong when I bought it and they gave me 2 free services to cover it, and it does not detract from my day to day enjoyment of it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  11. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Well that is an Audi, not a BMW.... :p

That's why my car is a Honda. :smashin:

12. mickstreet

mickstreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had a BMW used warrenty on my 330i and thought they were very good. Ok, you can argue that things shouldn't have gone wrong with it but they repalaced the central locking controller and the TV in it both under warrenty. Combined these would have been over £2k so really pleased I had it!
    Whereas the Toyota I have now, they won't even replace a rubber window seal under warrenty, want £80 + labour!! (Although I do think the Toyota is the more reliable car, just don't like the dealers as much).

13. bazonix

bazonix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    i chose not to renew my warranty as a very good friend is a master-tech at BMW and he advised not to, the cost at the time (approx £750) was a lot of money.... for something that may not be used..... BUT, dont get me wrong, im friends with a guy who actually works for BMW and he's mature.... if i didnt know him, id have some sort of warranty as these things can be expensive to repair....

i only do approx 8000 miles a year, and for my 30th bday last year, i was seriously thinking about a new car....but decided on a new garage instead to house something special in a couple of years....

so i had the car completely rebuilt...(on 40,000 miles) new suspension set-up, brake system, bbs, engine re-build, the list is ridiculous the total cost was over 10 grand in the end but utterly worth it, as i love the car.... and NO, im not a boy racer, i appreciate engineering and my car looks totally stock apart from the gorgeous alloys..... its what lies beneath:devil:

at the same time, i carried out all the 'preventative' maintenance.... bought all new cooling system, belts, all fluids etc... and my friend (had the car for a week!) fitted everything.... even carried out the special KDS wheel alignment at BMW.... he loves the car more than me, as iv improved on an already superb vehicle... in a mechanical and safety way only...

now the funny thing, whilst changing out the cooling system, he checked the front radiator.... its huge! but had bowed.... ie 'any-minute' about to give up the ghost.... the cost would have been a grand at bmw but he was able to source and fit it for a quarter of that....with OEM parts... then the car would lock no probs.... but would sometimes struggle to open.... a general control module which can only be replaced and fitted at official dealers... again nearly £750... so in the course of a week, my car, if at a dealer would have stung me for a lot of money...

what im getting at here is that the warranty may be worth it for people who dont have a clue about cars or just want piece of mind.... im very lucky to know this chap as he's saved me a fortune over the last few years.... and i know more about my car than most independent garages now....

i guess it comes down to how pro-active u are.... and im 100% towards mine....(motoring is my main expense) but i would never take my car to main dealer for repairs any more... not worth it... although i get oil service every year just for the FSH.... and it enables my friend to keep an eye on it.... the stories i can tell about BMW and replacement parts... brake discs that are half worn, being replaced because BMW protocol states so... but for my car, new brakes and discs come in at a grand fitted:eek: (which wont be covered by any warranty any way, and consumables and exhaust and in fact, anything that suffers break down due to wear and tear....80% of the bloody car!!)

i have my own dedicated bmw diagnostic machine that fits in my glove box and will tell me if anything ever goes wrong with it in the future..... speed sensor went just out of warranty, all the lights on the dash lit up like a xmas tree..... £220 at BMW, £70 to me and 40mins of my time! big saving.....

nice one:smashin:

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are many people that have bought Life Insurance but that doesn't mean to say that they are expecting to die within the next 12 months..

When Porsche hoisted the annual fee for their after market warranty many people on the Porker forums recommended Tesco instead

15. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Yeah, that was something I had to account for when weighing up whether I could afford to run a Boxster. 40-odd quid per month for peace of mind vs over £10k for a new engine if the IMS went.

16. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Yes, but I know I am going to die :eek:

If I insured everything on the off chance they might break down, it would be far more expensive than simply saving the equivalent of a fraction of the premiums to cover for the odd occasion when one of them does...

17. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I've recently taken out a warranty direct policy.
    £21 per month covers everything, apart from the stereo and the catalytic
    convertor.
    So that's £252.00 a year.
    That's taking the 'main dealer' option too.
    Would have been less if I'd clicked on 'franchise garages ok'.
    Renault, meanwhile, wanted £260 for their own warranty, to cover the engine and transmission only.

18. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Yes, the decision on whether to buy insurance is based on risk and what you can afford to replace. I rarely get extended warranties on white goods because I can afford to replace one if it breaks down. If the IMS went on my Boxster, I couldn't afford the £10k+ to replace the engine.

19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,365
    My car cost 1K, I can afford to replace it, no brainer for me :)

I reserve the right to be jealous (athough appreciative is probably a nicer way to say it) of all the nice cars some of you guys and gals drive though :D

20. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    don't worry, my first car cost me £52 :eek: