Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Extended Warranty For Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by photoman03, Oct 30, 2003.

1. photoman03

photoman03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to share something I found with all the Digital camera users. I purchased a Fuji Film S2 from B&H, and they offered me a Mack Extended Warranty for $90. I really did not think I needed a warranty, so I refused it. When I read up on the S2, and some of the problems that they are having, I thought about the Mack warranty again. I read on another forum a posting about a site that has this warranty and that it was cheaper then all the big stores like B&H. I checked it out, it they were right. Not only did I buy the one for my S2, I purchased one for my TV I just bought.
    I know a lot of people do not believe in Extended Warrantys, but to me they are like insurance. It is nice to know you have it just in case.

Please share your thoughts.
    Joe
    PS: The site is www.scarolainc.com

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Joe welcome to the forums:) are you in the us? is the warranty international?
    Where did you hear about avforums?
    (mainly a UK forum but have some US memebrs and some from all over the world....)

3. photoman03

photoman03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the US, but the warranty is an international warranty from what I read. I browse all the digital forums to get info on things like cameras and warrantys because these froums are form the users.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Cool well i hope you stick around and enjoy it thanks for the link could be very useful in the near future!

5. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There are also some good Uk firms about...

http://www.domgen.com/

I have my washing machine with them (£88 for two years)

and will be putting my camera with them (56 for four years)

They do all sorts of appliances and from the speed of the call outs to my washing machine they were very good.

Oh yeah, your kit does not have to be brand new either...

:)

6. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The idea of an extended warranty is a good one.

The problem is that (in the UK at least), they are often very very expensive for what they offer.

A good example is when I bought my new TV (almost 2 years ago now).

If I had gone to one of the big superstores, they would have wanted almost £600 for a 5 year warranty on a £2000 TV.

I actually ended up buying the TV elsewhere where the 5 year warranty cost me £100 and the TV was cheaper as well.

Now for me £600 is a rip off so I won't bother but at £100 (£25 per year if you like) I felt it was good value for money and bought it.

So yes warranties are good BUT you have to make sure you are also getting value for money and not just helping the store make a huge mark up.

7. photoman03

photoman03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure what things cost in UK, but from what I hear they are very expensive. I do agree with you on that point. The warranty I was talking about is a world wide warranty. I have spoken to at least 3 people in Austrilia who have purchased this warranty from the site I mentioned.

Joe

8. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think most new items are so reliable nowadays that you don't generally need extra protection than that which is already available under normal warranties. But if you are a person that likes that extra protection, I think special insurance cover from your usual insurance company would be much cheaper.