extended warranties

geof1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,just to let you know that all of you that are thinking of buying an extended warranty are WASTING YOUR MONEY.PLEASE read your "rights as a consumer"before buying these RIP OFF warranties.the makers have NO RIGHTS to limit you to a 12 month warranty.As stated in this LAW.every item must last for and be manufactured to these limits so why waste money.IF,MAYBE AND POSSIBLY DO NOT COME INTO PLAY.nor do the likes of JL warranty because you only get a sliding scale replacement whereas IN LAW the maker MUST repair/replace it with a similar item.retailers make a fortune out of the MUGS that buy them.

Source? Or a rant?

bit of both,actually i had a lg 7700 that the dealer said would have iplayer when available,this was NOT true and guess what, the tv was replaced.I know of various people that have used my (limited knowledge)of the soga but have had a VERY happy ending,notwithstanding some have had to get engineers reports to PROVE faulty goods are a manufacturing defect.(not due to wear and tear etc)SO my statement re extended warranties stands.you have the LAW on your side......USE IT.

Which law?

sale of goods act and also European statute.on consumer goods (too lengthy to mention parts)BUT we did NOT opt out of this legislation...ask TRADING STANDARDS.they are happy to give advice.and to take up a legitimate claim....
most officers will give you ALL the details you need to state a case......if needed.AND if the case(s)are many will take a maker to court themselves.....also a good source of info is WHICH (you need to be a member)and they will fight on your behalf,especially if THEY have a few complaints.small price to pay.(yes I am A member.)

I try not to get involved in these threads as people seem to get unduly worked up about them, but hey ho... :D
Hi folks,just to let you know that all of you that are thinking of buying an extended warranty are WASTING YOUR MONEY.PLEASE read your "rights as a consumer"before buying these RIP OFF warranties.the makers have NO RIGHTS to limit you to a 12 month warranty.As stated in this LAW.
Sorry, that's not quite correct. The relevant legislation doesn't provide you with any 'warranty'. A warranty is a separate thing. The manufacturers can make a warranty as long or as short as they see fit, as product warranties are in addition to your statutory rights, they're not covered by the SOGA.

What the law, in the form of SOGA (and it's only SOGA you need refer to as it contains the applicable parts of EU legislation) provides you with is certain statutory rights that protect you as a consumer and which mean goods should be fit for purpose, free from defects and as described. This isn't the same thing as a warranty.
every item must last for and be manufactured to these limits so why waste money.IF,MAYBE AND POSSIBLY DO NOT COME INTO PLAY.nor do the likes of JL warranty because you only get a sliding scale replacement whereas IN LAW the maker MUST repair/replace it with a similar item.
Sorry, again, that's incorrect. There is no law which forces a retailer to repair or replace. They can also refund, full or partial, if a replacement or repair is disproportionately expensive in comparison.

And to get compensation at all, you may need to prove your case, take it to small claims, etc. etc. So some warranties are actually worth the money if you fancy avoiding all this. Especially those waranties which provide far more protection than the SOGA offers, such as the JL warranty. I returned a £1300 4-year-old faulty TV to JL, I got £820 back. SoGA wouldn't have got me half that amount.
sale of goods act and also European statute.on consumer goods (too lengthy to mention parts)
It's all in the SOGA, and worth reading.
BUT we did NOT opt out of this legislation...
You're right, we didn't, that's often mistakenly reported. But it still doesn't mean we have an 'EU warranty'. We fully comply with the EU regulations which the EU directive forms part of. The confusion comes from the fact that member states didn't need to apply any legislation where they already had superior coverage, so although we didn't fully adopt it, we definitely didn't 'opt out'.

But... none of this provides a 'warranty'. They confusingly refer to it as a 'guarantee' in the EU regs, but it's not a product guarantee of the type we're used to.
ask TRADING STANDARDS.they are happy to give advice.and to take up a legitimate claim.... most officers will give you ALL the details you need to state a case......if needed.AND if the case(s)are many will take a maker to court themselves.....also a good source of info is WHICH (you need to be a member)and they will fight on your behalf,especially if THEY have a few complaints.small price to pay.(yes I am A member.)
Yup, all that and Consumer Direct. Always best to ask the experts.

Links that may help:
Explanation from Bucks Council Trading Standards about the EU 'myth' Know your rights
The 2002 amendments to SOGA which show we did adopt EU regs The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 No. 3045
The much-linked SOGA fact sheet! [ARCHIVED CONTENT] Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet - BIS

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
what SOGA won't provide you with is next day service door to door, nor a loan TV set in the mean time while yours is being investigated, it won't cover accidental damage, nor will it get me my tv repaired and returned within 7 days of pickup or a new (not refurbed or old stock) replacement TV to the nearest spec issued.

i don't mind paying for SERVICE along with having my legal rights too.
so for me, its worth the money to avoid a boat load of hassle and running around trying to find an independent service engineer locally, having to pay them, take time off work while they come pick up the tv and have to do without my TV for an unspecified time.
i can do without my chosen set for about 7-10 days but i can't be arsed to go to court and prove the faults.
i just want it picked up fast, a loan set and my TV returned repaired or a new one issued.
the soga won't get me that within that timespan.
you pay for service, whether its built into the overall buying price or its aftermarket.

its also worth noting that without the services that these retailers 'make a fortune' out of, the majority of them would either have to fold due to there being no margin in the TV itself, or would charge more for the TV itself just to earn some kind of profit.

Last edited:
bit of both,actually i had a lg 7700 that the dealer said would have iplayer when available,this was NOT true and guess what, the tv was replaced.I know of various people that have used my (limited knowledge)of the soga but have had a VERY happy ending,notwithstanding some have had to get engineers reports to PROVE faulty goods are a manufacturing defect.(not due to wear and tear etc)SO my statement re extended warranties stands.you have the LAW on your side......USE IT.

On your actual case, you were sorted whatever happened as the dealer misrepresented the TV's specs.

Guarantee-wise it depends what it is, I wouldn't buy any DVD Recorder without one after my Panasonic experience of them being timed to fail after 18 months or a specified number of hours with their "signature fault". TV-wise, for my first telly anyway, John Lewis do the complete package.

Amps on the other hand, my first one lasted a decade before showing any technical problems so I wouldn't bother when buying a Home Cinema receiver, in fact none of my pure hi-fi has given me any trouble at all so it would be wasted money to extend the warranties. Mind you I kept all the original boxes for moving house to try and avoid any damage.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom