1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Warranties

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GroundhogDay, Jul 13, 2004.

1. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading this forum it seems that a lot of us have had to return our equipment. Myself included, my first Pan E85 lasting 10 days, touch wood and cross everything, the replacement has so far been fine.

Its left me considering whether its worthwhile paying out for the extended warranty insurance to protect the £460- investment. Normally I would run a mile at such an idea but having experienced the disappointment of the long awaited machine going wrong I'm seriously considering it.

The downside is the cost of course £124 for 4 years additional protection it says on the leaflet (though it says 2/3 years on the website - not encouraging much faith that they know what theyre doing). In a couple of years the price of a new machine might only be a couple of hundered pounds anyway.

After my initial experience I don't have a great deal of faith in the robustness of the product so I'm inclined to shell out yet more cash. Any comments? Do you think its better to wait until the 12 months manufacturers warranty nears its end and then take out more cover? Anyone done it?

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    read this for some more info.sale of goods act

Now acording to this infomation. do we really need warranties at all?

3. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good link. Handy to know one's rights. It would be interesting to know how long a recorder might be reasonably be expected to last, not much longer than four years probably. But good luck in trying to get it fixed under the sale of goods act after a year!

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Yep , well, this is the problem . Its all very well having these rights as a consumer, but you try and get the retailers to agree to them!

5. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never taken out optional extended warranties. I seem to remember "Which" magazine reporting some time ago that they were generally not worth it. Even with the warranty there will be additional terms and conditions that it may be difficult to comply with or prove.

I think that reputable dealers (including some on the Net) will normally be quite co-operative if the complainant is polite and reasonable

6. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The halfway house to me seems to be companies such as Richer Sounds who ate least pitch their extended warranties at a reasonable level. New DVD/HD at under £30 as opposed to circa £75 everywhere else

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I bought a dvd player warranty from richer sounds that cost £20 and ran for 3 years. It gave me the option to claim that £20 back at the end of the 3 years if I hadn't had the machine repaired in that time, or to trade in my machine against another purchase to get up to 50% of my money back. 4 months ago I traded my toshiba 110e and got the full 50%, or £95 towards a pair of speakers. Do they still have that offer?

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree about Richer Sounds. I bought a Marantz CD recorder from them with the 3 year warranty. I had to use it so the 50% replacement option won't apply, but the sevice was excellent. I'm waiting for them to stock the Panny E85 or Pioneer 520. But they do sometimes lag rather on new model availability. Their Toshiba RDXS32 offer looks great for those interested and close enough to visit a branch..

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    That's the only problem with RS. If you're looking for a particluar model, they may never stock it. Got a good deal on a 50" Pioneer plasma display at £4,500. Cheap if you consider curry's had the 43" version fior the same money. :)

10. jonni

jonni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warranty - I believe that under new & current regulations, most manufactured products including even cars, are covered for much longer than a year, 3 or more years. The manufacturers don't like it, nor do retailers (more work), but it's true and you can push it all the way to the courts.
    Jonni

11. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Argos took back my faulty camcorder after nearly 2 years with no hassle whatsoever. Indeed as I got the original purchase price back, I was able to replace it with a higher spec model since prices have now dropped significantly.

12. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Domestic & General seem to the main provider of insurance cover, at least for my Pan. E85 and also for my new Sony TV. It interesting to look at their web site where they are willing to place cover at any time see www.domgen.com The best deal seems to be take out cover just before the expiry of the 12 months warranty when you can then insure for up to another 4 years for about £124.00. After 12 months (going by their instant quote feature) the price is 99.00 per year only renewable on a yearly basis.

Anyway I will wait till 11 months of the guarantee is up and decide then (dependent on current prices and optimism regarding the E85) whether its worth taking out any insurance.