1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

extended warranties

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Kryton, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Kryton

Kryton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

First off, what a great forum. After a couple of days browsing I've learnt a lot.

My question is what's the view on extended warranties with the current technology, worth it or not? I'm about to get my first widescreen and planning on a Sony KV28FQ70S. Is a warranty worth it with Sony? Also I saw a post that the last letter denotes country, what's with the 'S' ?

Thanks,

Bob

2. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to say "yes".

My C43 Hitachi rear projection has just developed an intermittent convergence fault after three years of great service. Now, of course, I wish I'd bought the five year warranty that EmpireDirect were offering. But I didn't. So I'm going to have to fork out for the repair and any possible parts.:(

On the other hand, I might just junk it and get a new tosh:rotfl:

Overall though, I'd say that warranties on some electrical items can be placed into context by how much your spending. In my case, I knew the item probably had a maximum five year life span. So I took a risk. That has now backfired.

Ah well.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,348
    I think extended warranties are sometimes useful. It all depends on the product, usage, how long you want to keep it for etc. For example if you have small children, pets etc who might damage/eat/soil the item then warranties are useful.

Although i think you probably can get far cheaper warranties from other companies instead of taking them out at time of purchase from the seller.

Plus if you buy on a Barclaycard you get an extra years free warranty (you used to, haven't used them for a while) on top of the statutory 12 months.

Always remember being offered from those muppets at Currys extended warranty on a £80 Microwave for £40! I am sure they would sell you a extended warranty on a kettle if they could get away with it.

Greg

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taking out an extended warranty is always a gamble.

The reason that many high street shops are so keen to get customers to buy these warranties is that most of the people that get one will never have to use it, basically meaning that the shop is getting money for nothing.

A small percentage of tv's will develop problems, and in these cases an extended warranty is a benefit (providing the repair agent is any good), but do you gamble that you will be one of the people unlucky enough to get a set that will develop problems prematurely?

Just keep in mind when you make your decision that if extended warranties were in the fianicial interests of the majority of consumers, then shops wouldn't offer them.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    They can, and they do.
    Recently I nearly bought a £40 kettle in a shop, was offered a £29.00 Domestic & General Three Year Complete Product Replacement Plan but instead I bought the same kettle in ASDA for £30 including their 3 Year Guarantee. :)

6. rcladin

rcladin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also I think in most cases the sales person makes a hefty commission on any extended warranty he/she gets you to take, they are always trying to sell it.

TV's last for years, i did'nt do it, i'm sure it'll be okay too

7. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Via another post I was looking at this PVR thing

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0-JvYc11qA9K&vp=6&bg=276&bp=8000s&bi=0

It's £172, but a 5 year warranty is £150! If you put that £150 in the bank it would cover the cost of a new one in a couple of years.

Which magazine had an article on how long various things should last. I think they were saying that if your TV or other device went wrong in the first 5 or 6 years and you could prove it was due to a manufacturing fault then the retailer is obliged to repair/replace it. All to do with being of a certain minimum quality.

I've seen other stuff about extended warranties saying that generally they are not worth it. The Richer Sounds deal where you can claim the money back seems better. I intend to get the £20 for my DVD 3 year back when the time comes.

I'm considering a general warranty that is available from some companies to cover all electrical devices in a house. Any experiences of these?

--
    Steve
    www.bagofspoons.net