Question Extended warranties with accidental damage cover in UK?

Geordie2004

Hey, does anyone know if there are still any UK-based retailers (online or in-store) which still offer a form of accidental damage cover during an extended warranty/guarantee period with their TVs? I know John Lewis used to offer this, but I believe that they have now stopped doing so.

bogart99

As far as I know JL still offer it at a price. Not sure it is worth it unless your accident prone.

mikej

John Lewis introduced an accidental damage cover policy earlier this year - it costs £140 and also covers 'screen burn' on OLED TVs. If you don't need that particular cover, why not add accidental damage cover to your household contents insurance ?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hey, does anyone know if there are still any UK-based retailers (online or in-store) which still offer a form of accidental damage cover during an extended warranty/guarantee period with their TVs? I know John Lewis used to offer this, but I believe that they have now stopped doing so.

Personally I just use our home insurance. It hardly costs anything to add accidental damage cover to our televisions.

Geordie2004

Yeah, I know I could use home insurance to cover it, but I don't currently have any and I have no plans for that to change.

My current TV is covered by John Lewis' old Added Care policy which cost £40 for 5 years (43" entry level/mid-range at best). I'm trying to keep in touch with the market in terms of what else is easily available though as I may well upgrade later this year/next year.

Geordie2004

John Lewis introduced an accidental damage cover policy earlier this year - it costs £140 and also covers 'screen burn' on OLED TVs. If you don't need that particular cover, why not add accidental damage cover to your household contents insurance ?

Interesting, cheers. My understanding was that John Lewis had stopped offering this kind of policy altogether, but your post and further research suggest that they have instead modified their offering. Can you give me some further details on this? How long does the policy last for and is this £140 price tag a flat rate or does it depend on the TV in question? My current TV is covered by the old John Lewis policy and that only cost £40 for 5 years (albeit it is only 43" and not a high-end model by any means).

mikej

Interesting, cheers. My understanding was that John Lewis had stopped offering this kind of policy altogether, but your post and further research suggest that they have instead modified their offering. Can you give me some further details on this? How long does the policy last for and is this £140 price tag a flat rate or does it depend on the TV in question? My current TV is covered by the old John Lewis policy and that only cost £40 for 5 years (albeit it is only 43" and not a high-end model by any means).

£140 is a typical price for an OLED - the 5 year policy seems to range from £40 to £320 and the policy summary document is here if you want more info

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I know I could use home insurance to cover it, but I don't currently have any and I have no plans for that to change.

My current TV is covered by John Lewis' old Added Care policy which cost £40 for 5 years (43" entry level/mid-range at best). I'm trying to keep in touch with the market in terms of what else is easily available though as I may well upgrade later this year/next year.

In that case I think John Lewis have a reasonably comprehensive cover through Domestic and General. I'm sure you could call and get something direct with D&G also.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom