extended warranties (comet)

talcy

Established Member
Reaction score
looking to buy the hd-d45 only place around here doing it is comet. they offered me an extended warranty £169.00 for 3 years, so i thought that with the warranty that sagem offered of 2 years i would be covered for 5 years but the trusty salesman said that sagem dont offer a 2year warranty. so if anyone can confirm that they do, so i can go back armed with the correct info that would be great. is it worth having the above warranty.
reading the posts on this site made up my mind on the hd-d45 cant wait to get her now

cheers all

Id be suprised if it was 2 years, everything i have ever bought has been one year regardless of what it is, apart from a car.

Also it doesnt work in the way you think, the warranty is not added onto the manufaturers warranty, its from day of purchase. So lets say the tv has a years manufacturers warranty and you take out a 3 years extended warranty. You get 3 years in total not 4.

Optoma sets have a 2 year warrenty.
The sensible thing to do would be phone sagem, rather than listen to hearsay.

A few products now have a 2 year warranty as this is the new EU consumer standard.
However, the UK opted out of this piece of legisation.
But some manufactures seem to have decided it is easier to offer a pan-EU 2 year warranty that is applicable in the UK too.

Why don't you order it from John Lewis? They are taking pre-orders for units due in this month. They give a 5 year warranty FOC. Comet don't deserve the business.

Spyro said:
Why don't you order it from John Lewis? They are taking pre-orders for units due in this month. They give a 5 year warranty FOC. Comet don't deserve the business.

I agree with Spyro.

:lesson: I have spoken to Comet who slated John Lewis' warranty and stated that they would not extend their warranty to match the 5 years from JL this they say is due to the nature of their (JL's) warranty and how it is administered. Comet also stated that the buls would not be covered JL have told me that this is not the case.

If I were asked to trust either a JL 5 yr warrenty or Comet warrenty
I know which one would get my vote of confidence.

One of the main rules of selling - " Never Criticise the Competition" (You never know when you may be working for them)!!
Isn't this just typical of Comet/Currys etc? Ask them a question about the product and they haven't got a clue. Talk about warranties and they know the ins and outs of a dogs ar*e.
When are manufacturers going to realise that if you want to promote cutting edge technology these type of retail outlets are not the best vehicle unless some serious product training is applied? Has anyone ever seen a demo instore of a dvd & DLP/Plasma/LCD with HDMI or DVI connected. I travel all over the UK and all I have ever seen in any store is a crappy RF fed advertising loop or the HiDef demo on the Sagem.

I'd like to upgrade to a DLP, I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket, but after reading these forums it just seems that products are launched knowing there are bugs or incompatability issues. The consumer appears to be left to get on with the problem solving themselves, while the manufacturers do their R&D in the field at our expense. Optoma & R1 discs, Sagem & HDCP etc. When you buy a set costing £2k+ you shouldn't have to pi*s around with PC dvd's to stop judder or continually playing am I going to get an HDCP upgrade board with the tech dept.

It's an absolute promise. Anything you buy from Comet, Currys, Dixons, (etc) will be sold at the highest possible price. And their warranties are the most extreme example of this. Do not waste your money on an extended warranty from Comet or any part of the DSG group. If you really must buy a warranty, buy it independently from Domestic and General, or get one free from John Lewis.

spyro ,well said could not agree more, but in answer to some of the previous questions, i was going to purchase the hd-d45 from comet and was ready to pay a additional £270.00 for five years warranty after the had slagged of john lewiss warranty. when i got home and contacted john lewiss customer services dept who informed me that it was the same price as comet and with the five year warranty and the bulbs are covered. so cancelled comet got refund and gone to john lewiss.

cheers for all the posts, think i will be going down the john lewis road myself now. how are they with on line purchase's or where is the nearest jl to me. living in swansea and dont mind travelling to get a better deal. can anyone give me the web address for john lewis, been on a jl site but all they have is the sammy 50" and done a search for the sagem and it keeps coming back as nothing found. please help

talcy said:
cheers for all the posts, think i will be going down the john lewis road myself now. how are they with on line purchase's or where is the nearest jl to me. living in swansea and dont mind travelling to get a better deal. can anyone give me the web address for john lewis, been on a jl site but all they have is the sammy 50" and done a search for the sagem and it keeps coming back as nothing found. please help

:oops: You cannot order this from John Lewis online it has to be done from a store - lots of reasons why too long to go into here - call customer services and they will give you the phone number for your nearest store then once the store have it you can either pick it up or get them to deliver. :clap:

cheers mate, i will do that. i think the nearest is bristol, so a trip over the bridge is on its way.
cheers again

Hello Talcy. John Lewis's part number for the HD-D45 is 825 84202. I contacted the Bluewater store and you can pre-order over the phone with that no. Might save the £4.70 to let you back across the border?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom