1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Version of Dances with Wolves

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ice_cool, Nov 30, 2001.

1. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Can anyone help me to find the extended version of this great film. I have found out that the R2 is a superior copy due to extras, commentaries and DTS 5.1. Yet it is the normal 173 minute version, not the extended 223 min one.

I've seen the VHS extended version in a catalogue, but has been deleted or discontinued.

Can anyone help??????

:confused:

thanks

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Ice,

As far as I know, the only time that the superior Director's Cut of "D.O.W." was ever available, was on an R2 disc from Netherlands-based company "Ro-Disc".

However, I know that that was several years ago, now, and that it was very expensive. Plus, as far as I know, it has been long deleted.

It has never been out on R1, though I really hope that someone like "Anchor Bay" or "Criterion" could give it a deluxe double-DVD release, with tons of extras, DTS soundtrack, isolated Music score (or free soundtrack CD), and informative book/booklet as well.
    I too, would love to see the longer cut make it to DVD, as in my opinion, it is much better. I was lucky, that I was able to see it at a local cinema, and it was one hell of an experience.

I have the R2 DVD (173m) edition, and the 4-hr version on VHS (in Widescreen, thank goodness).

Sorry, I can't be of more use to you. Maybe someone else can help. I fyou want to get in touch with Ro-Disc, there site address is: http://www.rodisc.nl/dvdframe.htm

However, be warned. They seem incapable of replying to e-mail enquiries, and most of the site, is not in English.

Pooch

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please excuse my ignorance but I have the R1 version that is DTS with a running time of 181 mins (difference between this and R2 time I guess down to 24fps v 30fps) how is this inferior to the R2 version? :confused:

Steve

4. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yep, difference in run-time is due to 24 vs 25 fps, a 4% difference that equates to 181 vs 173 minutes.

And yes, the full rate DTS track of the 2 disc R1 edition is still one of the best around.

5. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 4 hour version was available on both US & UK Laserdisc.

Probably can be purchased 2nd hand for a reasonable price. If you have a player.....

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My point exactly, I still cant see how this can be inferior to the R2 version!!

It might not be the extended version but then neither is the R2

Come to think of it I've not watched this since I've had a PJ installed.... wonder what I'm doing tonight :D

Steve

7. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry :( , maybe my facts are incorrect.

But i had a look at www.dvdcompare.org.uk and found the following:

Dances With Wolves

R1 - Image

Commentary by director Kevin Kostner and Jim Wilson (I)
    2.35:1 anamorphic NTSC
    Dolby Digital 5.1 format
    Snapper Case
    Note - A DTS version is also available

R2 - Pathe

Commentary by director Kevin Kostner and Jim Wilson (I)
    Theatrical trailer
    Making of featurette
    Profile of Kevin Costner
    2.35:1 anamorphic PAL
    Dolby Digital 5.1 format
    DTS format
    Amaray Case

OVERALL : R2

Cuts
    R1 - No cuts
    R2 - No cuts

So is the above incorrect?
    You say that the region 1 version is a two disc set? Does it have all the extras mentioned above? If so... then i'll get that one then.

Thanks

8. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The region 1 DTS (full bit-rate) 2 disc set (#ID5159ORDVD) is out of print, as is the single disc DD version (#ID4710ORDVD). Image released both versions. I read someplace that the rights to DWW's was going to another studio. I can't remember which one it was...maybe Universal? The original studio, Orion, is, I think, out of business.

The Widescreen Expanded Edition was available on both Japanese and U.S. LD's. A friend has it on Japanese Muse hi-def LD. He says it looks marvellous, but the indian's subtitles are in Japanese only. I have the U.S. WEE LD (#ID2814OR). It runs 236 minutes and the extra time is well worth it. The suicide scene is expanded and makes more sense. Many other scenes are just a bit longer. I'm fond of calling the short version the fast food version.

I've watched both DVDs only once each. Until the long version makes DVD, the LD is for me. It's what I reach for anyhow... One would think that the next DVD would be the long version. It sure would be a good selling point, me thinks. Best wishes cats!

9. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ice,

Sorry I've been away a couple of days

Your list of what is available on the R1 release is correct ie The commentary, 2.35:1 anamorphic and full rate DTS. I cannot confirm whether it's got the additional features of the R2 (not at home at the moment) personally I'm not interested in the "extras" I'd just prefer a better transfer and less compression!! :D

Each to his own I guess :p

Anyway as Rachael said it's now out of print, maybe there are still R1 copies floating around, good luck

Steve

10. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info!

Pity its out of print! :(

But i did find out this at dvdempire.com

Looks like i will have to wait for it until next year.

I think i'll contact mgm to see if they have any info!

Thanks again to all for helping me with information about the film! :D

ice_cool
    :D