1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Guarantee

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by thebrummy_one, Jan 21, 2005.

1. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Chaps, (and ladiees)
    My Sony cam is coming up to it's first Birthday and those nice people at Sony have sent me an offer to insure my cam for another year. They are asking for a little under £75.
    Normally I would just use this type of mail to give the rats down the local tip some extra bedding. ;) but, as I haven't had a lot of experience with this media, I was wondering if you guys think this is a worth while investment? :lesson:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    IMO you should go with your first instinct and give the rats the extra bedding.
    For the average camcorder user the cam gets very little use in a year and is unlikely to get worn out. I personally think you will be throwing the £75 away. My DV cam is around 5 years old and I've never had a problem with it, but I do of course take very good care of it.

Mark.

3. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers Mark,
    It was definetly a reliability prospective I was concerned about. And when I occasionally do unwrap my cam from the cotton balls, I only ever use it in a vaccum sealed room :zonked:

4. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brummy_one, isnt it the PC330 you have? if you wanna go for an extended warranty then www.warrantyex.co.uk are the best prices i have found for my pc350, in fact for all my av gear.
    they have options for 3 & 5 years.

5. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks JP,
    Yes it its the pc330. I'll give them a look.

6. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    JP,
    Just had a look atathat site and they're asking for twice as much :eek:

7. meles

meles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO you will get better service paying for a repair than you would trying to get it through a guarantee. I have previously sent a camcorder and a computer back to Sony for repair only for them to be returned with them saying they could find nothing wrong. In the case of the computer, this was returned a second time via the shop it was bought at who confirmed there was a fault. I would take the risk and give the rats the bedding. You can then pay either Sony or an independent to fix it if it goes wrong. Apart from the aforementioned problem and a few minor niggles which I can live with, my two Sony cams have both survived years of hard use (including being dropped and rained on) and both are still functioning.

8. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks meles,
    I think I will say adios to the insurance as both you and Mark feel the reliability of a cam should out last the wonderful warranty offer! (It also in keeping with my miserly character!!!)