1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Steve1234, May 28, 2004.

1. Steve1234

Steve1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Anyone have any idea of whats in the extended DVD? We know that there is 1 hours extra footage but what can take up this hour? I heard that they never even filmed the final chapter in the book. Is this true? Shame if it is as would be one of my favourite bits, would really finish the film off and make the extended DVD really special.

Steve

2. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The scouring of the Shire was not filmed as they felt that too many extended climaxes would diminish the drama. The vision Frodo saw of the Shire in flames in the Mirror of Galadriel in TFOTR is the nearest you get to it.

The EE of TROTK will feature the demise of Saruman, the houses of healing and the subsequence relationship between Faramir and Eowyn. Also we get to see the confontation of the Witch King and Gandalf. There's lots more. Try a search on Google for more indepth details.

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Having not read the books, will we be told where those eagles come from at the end?, or did i miss that bit, in which case i'll shut up and go watch it again.

4. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Gandalf used the Moth to summon an eagle to his rescue in TFOTR. Said moth reappears at Battle outside the Black Gates in TROTK and has brought the eagles to lend mutual support. (Simplified explanation to avoid complex plot/novel discussion).

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I haven't read the books either. I have tried several times, but I can't seem to get past FOTR. I'm quite pleased in a way, as people I have spoken to who have read the books, are often critical of the films, but I think I enjoyed them more, without nit picking at every disrecpancy with the books.

6. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've read all three books and just started the Silmarilion; to be fair, Jackson is a :censored: genius!!
    The extended editions are what the films should have been as a theatrical release, so much closer to the books. I understand that those moeny grabbers in the industry not only get two bites of the cherry with the DVDs but also that the shorter the film the more likely that you'll get the punters in.
    BTW, this is the first one I've watched since getting my pj and at times this film left me almost speechless :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers all

7. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I am a major Tolkien fan, but unlike others, I whole heartedly agree with the way that PJ has adapted the storyline. He has condensed multiple characters into single ones, and altered some of the plot details to make things more intuitive to the public who are not familiar with all the subtleties of the books.

I'm sure in a decade or so, some TV production will do a verbatim adaptation, rather like "Dune". I'm sure they'll be just as many arguments from fans over that.

I recommend the BBC radio adaptation if you find the books hard to get into. This really is a cunning piece of work that remains faithfull but does not bet bogged down in too much fine detail. It also uses some very interesting audio effects and has a superb soundtrack that really bolsters the narrative.

If you are really feeling brave then there is the superb 46 disc audio book by Shakespearean actor Bob Inglis. He reads and sings and delivers a powerful performance. The whole book including the appendix are presented totally unabridged.