Extend WiFi in only 1 place.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Hi. Me again :) So I have swapped my sky Q hub and booster for a tp link router and it’s working fine touch wood.

The only problem I have now is the booster was not that far from the shed so I could connect my Smart plug off it for my twinkly lights. I now can’t get a signal in the shed because the booster has gone.

I have got the lights working by using a bt WiFi extender. But this creates its own network so whenever i want to change the lights pattern I have to connect my iPhone to the extender network.

So my question is can you do something to replace the booster that will use the same ssid 2.4 and 5 GHz as the main router so I don’t have to keep changing WiFi networks just to do this. Ideally it will extend the WiFi into the garden more too. But the shed is a priority.
Thanks.

psychopomp1

This should do the trick nicely. I'm using it in my home (use it to plug my VOIP ATA which is ethernet only) and it uses the same SSID as the router - its a doddle to setup.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
This should do the trick nicely. I'm using it in my home (use it to plug my VOIP ATA which is ethernet only) and it uses the same SSID as the router - its a doddle to setup.

Thanks. Looks similar to the BT extender I am using now. Wonder if I can change the SSID on that?

tigermad

Distinguished Member

Thank for this. You got me thinking and I have just changed my SSID on my BT extender and it works. :) no need to fork out extra now.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
What model BT "extender" do you have..? I've only ever set one up, but the one I did let me set the SSID's to whatever I wanted, including same as the router it was backhauling to.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
What model BT "extender" do you have..? I've only ever set one up, but the one I did let me set the SSID's to whatever I wanted, including same as the router it was backhauling to.
Hi Mick BT1200. See above. That’s exactly what I did.