1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extend Powr Cable - Small Connector

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ColdKilla, Aug 15, 2005.

1. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a TV with integral power lead which I need to extend. I have put the small trucking on the wall to act as a cable tidy but then when I came to run the power lead through it realised it wasn't long enough!!!

I dont want to take out the trunking (u know that plastic sticky stuff) but want to entend the power lead so it runs nice and tidy! Is there any kind of connector I can use to join two power leads that is very small (ie will fit inside the trunking!) a lot of the connectors look quite big.

The other alternative is to replace the whole power lead but this would involve taking the back of the sony portable - Not sure I fancy this option - is it gonna be easy?

CK

2. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    To replace the whole power lead you do not have to remove the back of the TV set, look on the Russ Andrews web site there you will find an adapter socket which accepts the standard 3 pin kettle lead, it costs about £4.95, then have a look at the Yellow power cord and buy the appropriate length. This will not only solve your cable length problem but will also enhance the PQ by filtering out RFI.

3. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The power lead goes straight into the sony portable TV?

4. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    no what he's saying is cut off the captive power lead from the back of your TV close to your TV. Then wire the remaining cable into the IEC female socket he talks about, Then purchase a standard IEC lead of sufficient length and this can be run through your conduit, plugging into the newly installed socket on the back of your TV. People putting in fancy mains leads do this all the time, but Russ Andrews is not the cheapest place in the world, so you can also try maplin.

5. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ahh I see - logical really!!!

I will just cut the power lead and refit the plug then buy a single socket extension cable - Should have thought of this myself really!

Thanks guys,

CK