1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ext Subwoofer

Discussion in 'TVs' started by caleb2002, Feb 18, 2003.

1. caleb2002

caleb2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I am watching films from my PCs tv-out direct through s-vid and 2 phono cable to a svid and 2 phono scart.

I have a sony sub connected via the TVs Subwoofer out.

I have enabled sub woofer external in the Toshiba menus.

TV is a Toshiba 50wt29b.

I am not hearing any noise from the sub, either when viewing pc films, or Digital or analogue broadcasts through the TV.

Am I doing something wrong or are you only likely to hear sub bass when a DVD is connected?

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Depends on a load of things;

1. Is the Sony sub an active one, i.e. does it have its own amp duilt in?
    2. If the sub doesn't have an amp is the sub output from the TV a line level output (which is designed to be connected to the input of an amp, not directly to a speaker) or does the TV have a subwoofer amplifier? (if its spring terminal connectors on the TV it'll most likely have an amp built in)
    3. In your HTPC sound setup how have you got your sub and main speakers setup? Try setting the main speakers to "small" and this should redirect the bass to the sub.

DVDs do have DD5.1 sound on them (well, nearly all of them do) and the '.1' channel is the dedicated sub channel. If you're playing CDs or MP3s, etc, and haven't got any speakers set to small ot haven't told your HTPC (and TV) you have a sub connected then it won't be fed any signal.

Hope that helps in some way!

3. caleb2002

caleb2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THe connection out from the tosh is a standard phono connection labelled subwoofer out

The sub does have an inbuilt amp I bought it as part of a Sony Pascal set.

Thanks for your reply

4. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    In that case the TV has a line out connection and connecting that to the active sony sub will be fine.

Does the sub definitely work?

Unplug the phono lead from the TV end and touch the centre pin, the sub should buzz like heck :)

Other than that it must be down the the setup of the TV and the HTPC.