1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exposure info from file? (other than through Nikon Capture)

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by koiro, Apr 8, 2005.

1. koiro

koiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a Nikon D70, which came with a 30-day trial version of Nikon Capture 4.1. I use Photoshop, and thus I am not really interested in any other image editing program, but the one thing I liked was the detailed exposure info that Nikon Capture could give. This must be something generic (not Nikon specific) because the program also managed to find that info for pictures that I had taken with a different camera (a Kodak point-and-shoot).

Does anyone know of programs other than Nikon Capture that allow one to see the exposure info of a jpeg? I don't really want to spend £120 on Nikon Capture just for that.

Thanks for any hints!

Koiro.

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i downloaded a program called exif viewer whcih will read the exif data from image files, think i found it on download.com, cant remember

file> file info > exif data in photoshop will also show this

3. koiro

koiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, not really. That is just very basic info, nothing about focus length, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

Nikon Capture even knew that the focal length of my little point-and-shoot Kodak was 6mm.

So, the info must be there. But how do I get at it?

Koiro.

4. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    exif viewer will do that......

http://www.amarra.de/exif_uk.htm

as will photoshop however photoshop doesnt recognise lens etc, instead it shows it as a fraction of the lens magnification, and as such isnt much use.

the data is there its embedded in almost all jpegs

5. koiro

koiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh! Yes. So, the program (Nikon Capture or Exif Viewer) must have some sort of database about the camera and lens, and the actual jpeg contains only the info about which camera and lens were used and some numerical data. Photoshop doesn't have that database and hence only gives the numerical data. Got it!

Smashing! Thanks!

6. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    quite possibly, more likely as it shows much more data that it just interprets it properly.