Exposure control by software

davee

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone come across an 'exposure' control in any of the software that comes with Canon EOS 400? Not brightness, contrast or tone curve but exposure. I'm sure I found it previously but I'm going nuts trying to find it again. I've tried photoshop as well but am I just imagining it? :lease:
As an aside why does my 400 insist on flipping the flash up on a bright day when on fully auto? It doesnt need it and you cant seem to make any alterations to the exposure to control it when on fully auto.

Has anyone come across an 'exposure' control in any of the software that comes with Canon EOS 400? Not brightness, contrast or tone curve but exposure. I'm sure I found it previously but I'm going nuts trying to find it again. I've tried photoshop as well but am I just imagining it? :lease:

You get exposure control when processing a RAW file in CS2, is that what you are thinking of?

As an aside why does my 400 insist on flipping the flash up on a bright day when on fully auto? It doesnt need it and you cant seem to make any alterations to the exposure to control it when on fully auto.

If you use Canons DPP( Digital Photo Professional) in the RAW mode, the brightness slider can be used ( with RAW) to vary the ( exposure) stops by 2 each way ( ie -2 to +2) . That is a software exposure control not a Brightness control as you find in Photshop or those in its RGB mode controls what youve stated above
See below for a link

If you want to Use the 400D and not be at the mercy of what happens in Auto.. Use the P mode. Flash will not pop up unless you want it to say , as fill in if youve disabled it in the custom functions. In Auto you have no menu access to the custom functions
In Fully auto mode, the flash may come up because the camera is selecting a smaller aperture or faster speed ..it should still not overexpose the picture . Another reason the flash comes on is that the Canons use the built in flash for AF assist and may not fire the flash for the actual picture.
Fully Auto is meant to be "idiot proof" and the inability to adjust much is deliberate.
In Auto , and many of the Basic Zone modes ISO is set automatically between 100-400, this in turn affects how the camera selects shutter speed and aperture ( depending on which lens you use) for optimal exposure
Have a look HERE
Although for the 350D it will demystify the 400D for you
Tutorials on DPP and RAW can be found OVER HERE

Some Screen grabs using The DPP software on the same image at -2, 0 and +2 exposure stops. If you haven't already updated it the version of DPP that ships with the 400D has been updated
At -2
1351036232_fa9998df8b_o.jpg

"0"
1350148775_99d3254304_o.jpg

"+2"
1351036770_c714bbdaf4_o.jpg

Thanks senu, thats brilliant, an answer and a half there. :clap:
I'll work my way through the tutorials :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom