Exposure Amps and cable dilema

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gazza73, Apr 17, 2007.

1. gazza73

gazza73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am using an Exposure XX amp which I have been using since 1992. I need to buy some new speaker cable because I need longer runs in our new house. I contacted my local dealer who is a Naim dealer and he said Naim and Exposure (being of similar design) can only use a particular type of cable ie Naim, Exposure, Linn type construction. If other types are used he said will sound rubbish and possible damage the amplifier. Somthing to to with conductance I think he said?

A bit naughty but I bought some secondhand QED X-Tube 400 at a cheap price on ebay. While I don't think there is a massive difference over my existing Linn K400 it does give better seperation of instruments. My only fear is can it be damaging my amp?

2. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I'm not familiar with Exposure amps but Naim recommend their own cable and a minimum length of it too. This is off their website:

"NACA5 is our multi-strand loudspeaker cable, consisting of two separated 4mm square conductors. Its design is optimised for use with Naim amplifiers and loudspeakers by ensuring that its capacitance, inductance and resistance are entirely compatible".

We strongly recommend its use, along with our right-angled, twin loudspeaker plugs, which provide a safe, convenient and very effective connection. Even their plating has been the subject of research and development work.

You will find the majority of Naim owners run this however a popular alternative are cables from the Chord Co.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Exposure are not the same as Naim re specific speaker cable, AFAIK. I have an exposure XIX pre amp, with cables made up from Mark Grant (see the power buys forum), and it's great. I have some old Naim kit which is temperamental when it comes to cable.

EDIT
    Just noticed you've already bought some cable. I don't want to jump to conclusions that could lead to you damaging your amp, so I will wait to be corrected by an expert, but I don't think there's a problem using standard cable.

4. gazza73

gazza73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, I have been told this but only by Naim users who are told this buy their dealers (and my local Naim dealer). But is this true? Naim even recommend their own interconnects, the high line I think which retails for about £275.

I don't dispute the exceptional quality of construction and sound quality of Naim equipment but the owners are sort of in the Linn camp of being brain washed into full naim systems by their dealers. From source to cables.... and boy they know how to charge for it all.

5. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    You will find that Naim kit comes with its own interconnects supplied as well as its own mains cables so there is no extra expense involved. The Hi-Line cable you are referring to cost £500 and comes as standard with the top end CD player. It is optional on other kit.

The NACA5 speaker cable doesn't come as standard but this is just recommended. If you don't run it it doesn't effect your warranty for instance.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Im not.........but the fact remains, the NAC cable is a bog standard high quality copper cable and its cheap. I have run Chord Flatline Gold and it was fine for my original NAC72/NAP140 and it brightened the sound which I was happy with. With the NAP135s they seem to benefit from the Naim cable.

Interconnects....hmmmm the bits they use to connect the older amps together are just bog standard mains flex. I dont mean they look like bog standard mains flex, they actually are. I use any I/C I wish, currently using a teflon coated single crystal (cryo trated) cable....sound much like any other. many people dont think expensive ICs make much difference to the overall sound....£275.00 ? no way.

I have heard that exposure can be particular to cable choice and are not tolerant of ham fistedness (if you know what I mean). A local dealer/mate of mine managed to total two Exposure amps connecting them up.

7. gazza73

gazza73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So do you think if it sounds better than using the Linn K400 I've been using for 15 years it could still be damaging my amp?

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I dont really know the Linn K400, but as long as it does not have any weird inductance or capacitance values it should be OK. As to how it sounds in comparison I have no idea.

9. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177

I sold Exposure amps for just under 10 years in retail, through the 90s. We were big fans. So this was during the XX, XV, XVII, XIX, XVII, IV era etc. A lot of Exposure amps went out with a lot of different cables (we weren't dogmatic about it, and let the customers chose from our cable home trial kit).

What were the returns during that period due to faults ? Zero. They were the least troublesome amps in the shop.

We saw a big enough sample size, over a long enough period, to be confident that no such problem existed. But then, as they say, you can't prove a negative.

HTH

10. gazza73

gazza73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have emailed the product designer at Exposure and he couldn't see any problem. He did mention that I should try and use high inductance and low capacitance cable but as I don't have a clue what thet means I'll continue to use the QED XT-400. He said the best way to see if the cable was the wrong type is the amp will get hot.

And yes Jules, in the 15 years of ownership my Exposure XX has never put a foot wrong, even driving some difficult speaker loads, while some of my others kit of Scotish origin have had to have repairs done.

11. adam4478

adam4478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    how much exposure cable were you after? i bought a 100 meter roll whilst wiring mine and a friends house, not sure how much is left but can look to see if there's any new or any which has been used and then changed (more than likely)... might be interested in a trade for the qed if we have the right lengths to suit each other... i'm offloading my exposure gear and sticking with a purely surround sound set up so won't it make a huge amount of difference to me... LMK your thoughts:thumbsup:

12. gazza73

gazza73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the offer Adam but I think I'm happy with the sound of the QED so for now I'll stick with it. Its a tad brighter sound but the trade off is more detail and cleaner treble. Long term I don't know because I'll still running my new speakers in, so will let you know of any change.

13. adam4478

adam4478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    no worries, it's just my need to constantly change that sometimes gets the better of me :D

14. gazza73

gazza73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    And your wallet:D

15. adam4478

adam4478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i don't mind that, beats the mrs getting the better of it :rotfl: :devil:

16. czechmaniac77

czechmaniac77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure if your interested still , but i couldn't help reading your post.
    Damn it gave me a good laugh. Dealers will say anything to sell a product won't they. Did he offer you some snake oil too. Lol. There is no such thing as an amp
    that needs a special cable so it won't be damaged. That is the biggest load of nonsense i have heard in a long time.

Check out this site. This is what i use for my exposure 2010s amp and cdp.
    This company proved to me what an unbelievable rip-off the hifi cable industry
    is.

http://signalcable.com/products.html
    Their power cords are amazing too!
    I spent les then 500 canadian on 8 foot 10 gauge biwire, interconnects with eichmann bullets and two 10 gauge power cords. Wrap your brain around that!!!

17. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    You won't. Use whatever you speaker cable you like.

Don't touch the ends of cables together.