Exposure 1010 integrated amplifier: speaker match?

ColonelBlimp

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers (Mordaunt Short 914) while keeping my Exposure 1010 integrated amplifier. Are there options (mainly bookshelf speakers) known for being a good match with Exposure amplifiers? Does that question even make sense or should I consider other variables?

Budgetwise, £500 is more or less what I would be willing to pay for the speakers.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.

Is there any reason that you want to upgrade from the MS speakers? They were a £400 speaker when they first came out in the early 2000s. An increase in budget to £500 now may just prove to be a sideways move unless you are willing to look in the classifieds.

As above, you'd need to go 2nd hand for a good bump, but it's very possible. Eg:

Apparently Neat and Exposure are a good combo.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Welcome to the Forum.

Is there any reason that you want to upgrade from the MS speakers? They were a £400 speaker when they first came out in the early 2000s. An increase in budget to £500 now may just prove to be a sideways move unless you are willing to look in the classifieds.
Thanks.

The main reason is purely subjective, including lack of information. I bought the MS914, my first pair of speakers, for under £100 several years ago. They were in the corner of the audio section of a big store and they wanted to get rid of them (one of the grills was broken, scratches in a couple of places, etc.). I always liked the sound, in particular considering what I paid, but I always asumed I was missing something in terms of sound quality.

Now that hifi stores are going to reopen in the UK I will try to listen to speakers in that price range. It might well be the case that, as you said, my MS914 are perfectly fine compared to other options around the £500 mark.

Like gibbsy, I'd say I'd keep the MS914, unless broken, until you can save up for a "*real" upgrade.

At £500 for something new, I rather expect that in fact you'd be getting a downgrade (assuming the MS914 are performing to original specification). You might find something second-hand at £500.

As above, you'd need to go 2nd hand for a good bump, but it's very possible. Eg:

Apparently Neat and Exposure are a good combo.

These definitely. Neat are splendidly peppy speakers.

And I’d consider these.

Both the Neats and the Regas will comfortably outperform the MS.

As will these.

Selling the 914s should cover most of the difference.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom