Exporting images from Lightroom to Aperture Query?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by snerkler, Feb 28, 2014.

1. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    Most will know that I've now dropped LR in favour of Aperture 3 due to export issues with LR. Having now used Aperture for a while I do actually prefer some of the adjustments now. However, Aperture does not have lens corrections for such things as barrel distortion and so would like to use LR for this. However, when I export to LR from Aperture for some reason the profiles aren't there in LR.

Normally in LR I choose:-

Make Sony
    Model DT16-50mm SSM
    Profile SLT A77V DT-16-50mm

However when I export from Aperture my only options are:-

Make Sony
    Model DT18-200mm
    Profile Adobe (18-200).

Why are the profiles missing when exported from Aperture and can I get them back? Alternatively is there a way to do the lens corrections first in LR and then export to Aperture? Is there any way of doing this without creating huge tiff files?

I could go back to shooting in jpg as lens corrections are implemented in camera, but I really don't want to do this.

(Come on apple, pull your finger out and release aperture 4 with lens corrections :mad:)

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,573
    review your workflow - if exporting from LR and losing your PP adjustments is your issue then why are you using aperture first - then LR to hopefully adjust lens/CA etc. and the export from LR - isn't it maybe worth using LR first to correct as little as possible and then export to aperture for final PP work ?

3. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    Didn't I ask that in my original post? :devil: ;)

The trouble is I can't find a way to directly export into aperture from LR, and if I first export as a tiff file to my hard drive and then import into Aperture, the file size of the tiff are huge, like 380mb. If I export from aperture into LR the tiffs created are 'only' 70-80mb :confused:

4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,573
    ...and didn't I just answer it ? :D :facepalm:

5. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,573
    ...but seriously - doesn't aperture handle DNG format ? - should be much more reasonable sizes - can't test size comparison at the moment

6. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    Yeah, aperture accepts DNG but for some reason my exported DNG's don't have the changes on them, they export as the original unprocessed image. What am I doing wrong? Also, I've tried to use Aperture as a plug-in for LR but it doesn't seem to want to allow me to do that :confused:

7. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,573
  8. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
  9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,208
    Just set Lightroom as the external editor, saves you exporting/importing etc...

10. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    Thanks, would you mind expanding a little on this please?

When in aperture if I right click on the image it brings up this window

[​IMG]

I choose the first option (edit in LR) which then exports the image (although creates a tiff and exports this) and then opens LR and I can add whatever adjustments I want. The trouble is that as it's created a tiff file it no longer has the lens profiles in LR. I've since found out that most lens profiles are only available if working in RAW, so if using TIFF, jpg or whatever then the profiles aren't there.

Is this the method you're referring to, or is there a way of editing the RAW files in aperture using LR?

One thing I could do is make the adjustments myself. However, if I'm honest I don't really know how to/what to look for re lens 'errors' and therefore know what to apply and how much :blush: Are there tutorials/info on the net on how to assess lens 'errors' or is it an intuitive thing?

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,208
    Go to Aperture, Preferences, Export and set the external editor to Lightroom. Then on any photo you can right click and see the edit with .... entry. It will then automatically do that non-destructive and have stacked versions etc...

12. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    Thanks, that's what I do, as detailed in my post above :devil: ;)
    The trouble is it creates a tiff files as mentioned. In the aperture preferences there's no option to use RAW as the export file type, only tiff and psd :(

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,208
    I thought you said you export it first to your hard drive?????

14. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    Nope, I've even posted an image of how I export from aperture :p

The only time I tried exporting to the hard drive was when I was experimenting going from LR to Aperture as I was trying to do the lens corrections first. But this is/was the point of the thread as I didn't want to do this and been asking if there's a way to export from LR to Aperture in a similar way as you can export from Aperture to LR. This way I could do the lens corrections with the original RAW file and then send to Aperture for the rest of the adjustments.

I guess I'm going to have to learn how to do barrel distortion etc manually :eek:

15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,208
    Or get rid of that distorting lens :)

Btw there is no reason why Lightroom should only do that with raw. TIFF is just fine for maintaining all relevant data.

16. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    According to adobe's own site there are different profiles for RAW and non RAW
    Lens profile support | Lightroom 5, 4, 3 | Photoshop CS6, CS5 | Camera Raw 8, 7, 6

If you know of somewhere that has profiles for TIFF and other files please let me know :smashin:

As for the lens, unfortunately I'm limited by budget. Besides, I thought the 16-50mm SSM was a decent lens? Don't all small focal length lenses have barrel distortion then?

17. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    Bit of an update. Thanks to the wonders of google I've managed to figure out how to change lens profiles so that they work with jpeg and tiff files etc, not just RAW.

The first step is to locate the profiles, in mac this is user>library>application support>adobe>cameraRAW>Lens Profiles.

Next step is to copy the lens profile you want and paste it in the same folder, but rename it by removing the -RAW at the end of the file name. Open this file using the text editor and use find/replace ALL. In the find box use <stCamera:CameraRawProfile>true and replace ALL with <stCamera:CameraRawProfile>False.

Then restart the computer and all should work fine. So far so good for me :)