Exploring alcohol - first stop Gin

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Gin and tonic - probably one of my favourite drinks.

When I was younger it was Gordon's gin, but once I moved to Bombay Sapphire I never looked back.

More recently I've started to branch out, a bottle of hendricks the other week and today I just bought a bottle of Williams Chase.

Any gin fans out there got any opinions on gin? I haven't bought any tonic water yet to go with it, because I was wondering if there was something better than schweppes I should be trying this gin with?

Feel free to expand this with discussion about the slightly more expensive alcohols. Never really been a vodka drinker, but some of the frosted bottles make it look tempting..

krish

Distinguished Member
Never really been a fan of Vodka, but people seem to keep buying me bottles of Stoli
- to me it's just high % ethanol with zero flavour

Gin though, love BS as well as Hendrick's and Tanqueray
- all uniquely flavoured

As for tonic water, no big deal for me ... supermarket own brand, Schweppes, Canada Dry - whatever's cheaper

IronGiant

Any gin fans out there got any opinions on gin? I haven't bought any tonic water yet to go with it, because I was wondering if there was something better than schweppes I should be trying this gin with?
Schhhhh you don :smashin:

They are doing another round of tastings shortly.

Last edited:

W0LFIE

Try making your own Sloe Gin, it lovely. Problem is it's too easy to drink and before you know it you're sozzled.

IronGiant

Awesome :) I need to find some Fever Tree tonic!
I think, but not 100% sure that I've seen it at Waitrose, so you could get some of theirs at the same time to compare.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I think, but not 100% sure that I've seen it at Waitrose, so you could get some of theirs at the same time to compare.
Yes I note both Sainsburys and Waitrose sell the Fever Tree stuff, went to Waitrose today to get the Gin - They were also getting rid of cooked whole chickens for £1.85 mmm

I'll see which I have time to visit by the weekend

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I like Hendricks with a bit of cucumber thrown in there, not tried the cucumber with the others mind but it's quite nice.
I note the Williams chase website mentions a slice of apple, I haven't yet added any thing to my G+T - not even ice. (well at home anyway)

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
My more regular gin would be bombay sapphire, but the more expensive occasional drink would be tanqueray, not extortionately priced and can be had at the supermarket but the latter is well worth a try :thumbsup:

As far as tonic, i tend to go schweppes non diet but thats just from not knowing any better, look forward to seeing recommendations on that front.

Not really a fan of sloe gin myself, if there were a decent mixer for it that ive not tried i think i might enjoy it.

IronGiant

Have you a particular recipe in mind for that?.

There are some great names out there for Sloe Gin, but I don't particularly fancy the ingredients.

eg Sloe Comfortable Screw (with Southern Comfort Peach liqueur, whatever that is)

And who wouldn't fancy a Violent **** :eek:

Edit: Well, I never realised: Southern Comfort is just that: a Peach and Bourbon Liqueur :facepalm:

Last edited:

Vnb

Like Bombay, Beefeater and thought this organic gin The Organic Spirits Co Ltd. was nice. A cheap one thats a good un is this Greenalls Gin - London Dry Gin
Also have a bottle of this from Penderyn in the cupboard not opened yet Penderyn Distillery | Brecon Special Reserve Gin from Penderyn. Buy Brecon Gin online.. If it is anything like their whisky it should be lovely.
I tried the fever tree - very nice indeed, but I don't see it being worth 3 times more than a Schweppes. I am not paying £3 a litre for tonic.

It's worth buying nice glasses to drink a gin out of - it tastes nicer.

rousetafarian

IG is correct, IIRC it's about £3.00 odd for 4 smallish bottles

rousetafarian

I do like Bombay Sapphire, but only tend to get it through Duty Free 2 x 1 litre bottles for £24.00 is a steal in my book

nonumb

Another vote for hendricks and cucumber very nice. Quite like tanqueray or however it's spelt.

More a whisky fan but am partial to a G&T

homer timpson

Wife has drunk Gin for decades - she offered me a few several times but I never took her up - seemed like an 'old dears' drink to me ;)

Was on a night out three weeks ago and came back from the bar with 4 gins instead of three - so I decided to take the extra Bombay & Tonic - how I regret not trying it before :blush:

I really do like it :smashin:

Don't like whisky/bacardi/vodka etc etc - -occasionally have a Drambuie or a Tequila , but, I'm bowled over by Gin.

I've been experimenting nightly since:

Gordons - average
Bombay - excellent
Tanquery - excellent
Tanquery No 10 - a tad more expensive but bloody gorgeous :thumbsup:

I've even cracked open her birthday present - a bottle of 60% Blackwoods Vintage Dry Gin from the Shetlands :devil: - pretty damn good.

Schweppes slimline is mighty fine - others I find a tad too 'sweet' and I picked up a dozen bottles of Fevertree from my local Majestic wine shop and it goes superbly with all of the above.

Can't believe it has taken me 30 years to find a tipple that I really enjoy, but, better late than never!!

Homer

Vnb

Peroni pint glass yea :thumbsup::devil:
Sounds good .. :)
used to use just nice tumblers but we were bought some really nice crystal ones, seems to make the drink a bit more special.

EDIT my typo - I meant tall glass not a whisky type tumbler

Last edited:

fizl

I do like a bombay sapphire and either tonic or bitter lemon, but for me it has to be in a tall glass, not a tumbler

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Out of interest, those who like Gin, do you also like grapefruit? These are two things (as well as mustard and horseradish sauce), that my taste buds just cannot abide. I react to these like Tom Hanks in "Big" when he tastes caviar for the first time!

fizl

Not a big fan of grapefruit, more of a toleration

stevenM

Banned
When i went to Ascot last year i ended up drinking loads of a gin cocktail (can't remeber the name of it now though) I know they put sugar in it