Exploding EPSON 8100 Lamps

fgdiddy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I purchased an EPSON Home Cinema 8100 for Christmas. I used it for about 2 hours for a movie then on the next use the bulb exploded. Epson offered to replace the entire unit but I had to wait two weeks for stock. My dealer in the mean time got the local Epson rep to supply me a replacement bulb. That worked perfectly for two weeks. When the new projector arrived, I removed the "replacment" bulb from my old projector so I would have a spare and then happily mounted my new projector and returned the originial. Cool I thought, I just got two bulbs. Well guess what...about 1 hour into the use of the replacement projector...blam...expoded bulb. Luckily I had a spare and replaced it. It's working fine so far, but Epson has some defect in the manufacturing in the bulbs for the 8100. I will call on Monday and get them to replace yet another bulb. I noticed that the bulb in the new projector is made in China. Maybe since the price is so low on this unit, they're cutting corners on the bulb. Beware...get an extra bulb.

Surely this is not common, just unlucky. I guess every make has the odd unfortunate one.

I thought epson were a reliable make?

I am about to buy the epson 3500 tmrw so hope it does not happen to mine!

Surely this is not common, just unlucky. I guess every make has the odd unfortunate one.

I thought epson were a reliable make?

I am about to buy the epson 3500 tmrw so hope it does not happen to mine!
Hey don't even worry about it, any pj lamp can burst, that's very, very rare indeed on a new one, you will be v.please with your Epson 3500.

Really wanted the panny 4000 but at £800 more found it hard to justify.

It is my first projector and have not seen it demo'd next to the panny which I thought was not a bad thing!

I have seen some lesser models in a demo and was really impressed so thought the epson would tick all the right boxes.

I also did not want to spend loads on a projector when 3d and led are on the horizon. It would be tough to upgrade after a couple of years if you had forked out over 2k

Perhaps. Why , do you work there?

Which one would you go for?

What projector are you using?

1 - No :D it would be nice working there, projectorpoint.co.uk has a good reputation, prices and service.
2 - I have an Optoma 200x :eek: that suits me just fine.
3 - It's down to your requirements and needs, the Epsom 3500 is a good pj, you must have read this thread.

Yes, thanks though, I just read it again.

It does get good reviews and its flexibility and brightness seems superb. I just cant get my head around spending any more! I think I will be very pleased with it as one of the ones I saw the other day was the optama hd20 and I thought it was superb.

Been going in circles with screens though. I would really like a 2.65m wide 2.35:1 screen but cant find one at a sensible price.

You could get a 120" diagonal screen(2.65m wide) and blank off more of the top but how? I am amazed they dont sell them as 16:9 and 21:9 which just has a bit more black on it. Can you just paint them?

I was going to go for the epson 3500 but did find that the cheaper optoma 200x was going to be ok for me.

Screen thread 1

Thanks. Had read that one too but really wanted a slightly wider one.

Do you know if you can paint the screen fabric and with what?

Yes, I guess having two lamps explode in a row is unlucky. I will say that the performance of this projector is fabulous and I'm extremely happy with it. Hopefully, the gremlins are behind me.

As for a screen my local dealer suggested that I try the projector on a white wall 1st. Then I can be sure that the size and aspect ratio for the screen is right for me. I highly recommend this before purchasing a screen if you can do it. This way you are sure to get the right size screen and you don't make a costly mistake.

Mine died after about 700 hrs use over 6 months, needless to say I'm disappointed as I expected more.

:( Unfortunately I got bitten, too. Mine dimmed appreciably at 605 hours, then after an hour of dim viewing, we heard a VERY loud POP. End of bulb. Bought my 8100 in Feb., so officially the bulb is a couple months out of warranty. But I expect much better life from an advertised 4000 hour bulb. I'm going to see whether Epson USA will do the right thing by me. Will post results here later.

Update: Epson support is going to ship me a replacement bulb, no problem/no charge, 2 business days. Hopefully the new bulb will last a lot longer!

Update1(7/12/2010): Well, they sent me the WRONG Lamp. Contacted support, told them the problem. After VERY long period on hold, they connected me with "Lisa" from "Customer Relations" who proceeded to tell me that they are going to send me a prepaid Fedex label to send back the incorrect lamp, but unfortunately due to "Epson policy", they cannot send me the right lamp until they get the wrong one back. I told her I was very unhappy with that, given that I have been out of service for 5 days now, and it would probably be another 5 days to a week before I'd have the replacement. She said that the policy was due to the cost of the lamps and that she has no control over it. I said I was very unhappy that they would treat a customer with such a lack of trust, but she said there is nothing that she can do. I told her I would be reporting this to every forum I could find. So, pretty sour on the Epson experience, now. My recommendation is to find a different projector, Epson doesn't deserve the business. I may be stuck with this one for a while, but this will be the last Epson product I buy.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom